Never mind. The cutting out will eventually get done, then I can have the fun of mindlessly feeding fabrics through the machine - definitely a favourite pastime.
Last Friday afternoon the uke group played for the 30th birthday of a support group for people who have suffered a stroke, and many nice things were said to us and about us. One compliment we are often paid is "you look as though you are having fun" which we do - we are having a lot of fun! Next Sunday we are back at a market day at a small church just out of town, then we can sit back and heave a sign of relief......but not for long. We have several gigs coming up to Christmas, which will be upon us before we know it.
Proof that it has indeed rained since we came here - this was a few months after we moved in, a view of the hill behind us. Those plants must have been knee to hip height, maybe even taller.
Wet stuff! Actual wet rain on the garden!
Although this wasn't taken recently, the view hasn't changed.......it's still dry and brown now.
Sigh......it will eventually rain again. We just don't know when.
Yesterday afternoon the boat was well and truly pushed out here - I baked a cake! I used this recipe, but used an eight inch tin and gave it 45 minutes in the oven. It also has a streusel topping of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and melted butter, but for some reason the topping soaked into the cake as it baked. I may have overdone the amount of butter......but all is well, as usually that topping falls off instead of sitting nicely on top. Instead of using the spices in the recipe I dipped into my little container of ready-made pumpkin pie spice mix bought last year in Canada. There are many recipes online to make your own spice mix, but I thought I would try the real thing. As we can't buy tine of pumpkin pie filling here I made my own by chopping a pumpkin (Japanese, from memory) into chunks and roasting it in the oven for half an hour or so with the skin still on. No oil, no seasoning, nothing like that. When it was done and had cooled the skin was peeled off and it was puréed in the food processor, then stored in self-seal bags - one cup per bag, most recipes seem to use one cup - in the freezer until the mood took me to use them.
Should you feel like joining me in the boat for a bite of something delicious I can recommend it. Sometimes I make cupcakes with this recipe, but usually it's a bigger cake as it goes further......12 cupcakes is 12 cupcakes, but an eight inch cake can be cut into more than 12 slices.
"The beard.
Those who shave should be careful to do so every morning. Nothing looks worse than a shabby beard. Some persons whose beards are strong should shave twice a day, especially if they are going to a party in the evening."
A gentleman probably shouldn't eat cake while wearing a beard, as it would be a shame to waste even the tiniest crumb......which, of course, leaves more for the rest of us.
Enjoy your days!
Hi Jennifer wow that's a lot of pieces needed for your elephant,good luck with it all.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some rain soon,we have had so much here.
Oh your cake sounds yummy ,Thankyou for the tip about freezing the pumpkin purée,hope you have a wonderful evening ,I am now also your newest follower ,hope you will visit me too.xx
Happy chopping....all those pieces. Autumnal colours sound delightful! Your cake sounds delicious and it always sounds like you have a marvellous time making music xx
ReplyDeleteWell, my favorite season is also autumn and I have quite a store of those fabrics, too. I'm thinking a Maple Leaf quilt maybe, or perhaps a flying geese one....That cake sounds yummy...I like your thinking per slices vs cupcakes.....what is it with facial hair on men? I always think they look untrustworthy with facial hair. Except for Santa Claus, I can't think of a single solitary person who looks good in a beard! JMHO.
ReplyDeleteHi, Jennifer. I do not envy the cutting of all those pieces. I like the sewing part. but find the cutting requires patience I don't seem to have.
ReplyDeleteHow interesting to read Sally's comment above as I can't think of a single solitary person who DOESN"T look good in a beard! :)
i would be ever so sad if i had to process my own smushed pumpkin cuz then i would probably never bake a pumpkin pie ever again - i do love me some pumpkin pie - cut into six pieces ... i don't think that an eight inch cake would last around here for more than six servings, let alone twelve - ha ha ha!!!
ReplyDeletethe eXMan looked SO MUCH BETTER with a beard - it covered up his facial shortfalls...
have fun making music with your friends!!!
I was wondering when you were going to dip into that pumpkin spice jar. I will have to try out that receipe.
ReplyDeletePhew that is a lot of little pieces to keep track of... though I would do the same and get all the cutting done then start the next part. All the brown and non existant grass …. waiting waiting for wet stuff. I don't think I have ever cooked with pumpkin in cake…. I think because as you say recipes call for the pumpkin done and I was never sure what to do... now I know!
ReplyDeleteHugz