The letters look better spaced out than butted against each other, I think. Nothing like spaced out music, is there? Now it needs to be layered and quilted, but I want spots for the backing and my stash has very little in the way of spots. Hi ho, hi ho, it's spot shopping we go.......the fabric chosen for the stash for binding didn't look as good as I thought it would so another was chosen, also spotted, random different size spots on a black background - about the only spotted fabric in my stash.
Yesterday the perfect fabric for an outer border on the tumbler quilt leaped off the shop shelf and into my hands, a gorgeous repro stripe. The inner border was bought late last year at the 'other shop' when I was showing my visiting Canadian friend around. It's not normally somewhere I spend money as we have a much nicer shop on our side of the river, but as soon as I saw the broken stripe fabric I realised it was, like Goldilocks, just right......so I swallowed whatever it is one swallows in these situations, and bought it.
This first double row of tumblers is nearly complete, there is a four patch currently being joined to the right hand end, and then the side piece to be added. That will make one down, 11 more to go.
Here we are, selvedges for your perusal. The inner border is the broken stripe, "Sycamore" (I think - it's teeny weeny printing) by Jan Patek, while the wider stripe is by Barbara Brackman.
They are by the same manufacturer, they have become friends and hold hands nicely with each other, even though they are from different families.
Once the hand pieced part of this quilt is done - what shall I do? Another project will have to be chosen, my fingers have become very used to stitching and quite enjoy it. Perhaps something with stars will call my name, I have always liked star designs.
The uke group played our little hearts out this morning at a gospel concert, and our audience said nice things to and about us. Our choice of songs is usually bright and upbeat because you can't be gloomy while playing a ukulele, and our audience responds to that. The next five mornings will be our 'Uke Muster' for anyone who wants to drop in, and we have already had a few calls from interested visitors.......but even if we don't get many takers, we will have fun.
A couple of days ago we enjoyed a concert of Aussie poetry (mostly) and songs (just a few) - it was great fun. The country music festival here isn't only country music, as we discovered to our great relief on moving here; there is a great variety, most types of music anyone's little heart could desire. Except classical. The classical musicians hibernate during the country music festival.
"Reception days.
Some ladies receive only on certain days or evenings, which are once a week, once a fortnight, or once a month as the case may be, and the time is duly announced by cards. When a lady has made this rule it is considerate, on the part of her friends, to observe it, for it is sometimes regarded as an intrusion to call at any other time. The reason of her having made this rule may have been to prevent the loss of too much time from her duties in the receiving of calls from her friends."
Well......yes. Probably. Casual drop-ins can be welcome, or they can be an intrusion if badly timed. Perhaps we should go back to those days of visiting cards, and a servant to answer the door?
Enjoy your days!
A card system would be beneficial to those of us who do a 10-second-tidy when someone is coming over.
ReplyDeleteYour MUSIC piece is very cheerful; will it be a runner? It's perfect for you.
I can't wait to see the finished Tumbler Quilt...I must say, I have a template for a Tumbler and might just need to start cutting out pieces for a scrappy one myself....I have tons of scraps in the bin and this might be a solution to the I Can't Quite Throw This Piece Away dilemna!
ReplyDeletecasual drop-down are no longer welcome around here - and really never have been ... not too crazy about surprises of ANY kind...
ReplyDeleteMUSIC is looking good!!!
Lovely fabrics for finishing off your tumblers.. those leaf stripes are great... good that you can find fun things to listen to at the country festival too…. and sounds like the uke playing is quite popular.... I find as I get older I like visits planned ….
ReplyDeleteHugz
Your sewing is definitely moving forward. The music quilt is cute. I'm looking forward to seeing the tumblers assembled.
ReplyDeleteThat stripe is perfect! I have that music kit also and like what you have done with yours.
ReplyDeleteTumbling blocks and your music quilt look wonderful x
ReplyDelete