Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Well, here we are......

....we made it to another year.  At our age, another year is a bonus for sure!

Did you all go out and party hearty last night?  We didn't; we stayed in and didn't even make it to midnight before we went to bed.  Didn't even open the bubbly.......might do that tonight, to toast a new year.

The family came, The One And Only made it this far north.  They arrived early on Friday afternoon, whirled around like dervishes for a few days, and departed on Monday morning.  The One And Only was intrigued by Bianca The White Cat as they have a dog.  He patted her every chance he could, she hissed at him occasionally and spent quite a bit of time tucked away in our bedroom.  She is obviously not into small boys; having spent far too much of my life having to deal with them, I can sympathise.

The worst part of the new year is the devastating bushfires, fortunately nowhere near us but so many houses and businesses lost......and several lives lost too, the saddest part of all.  We are hoping for weather changes this year; some rain would be good, lots of rain would be even better.  Relief from the current heatwave would also be welcome.

We didn't watch last night's coverage of the fireworks in the Big Smoke.  Considering whole towns are burning up just a few hours south, it seemed insensitive and tasteless to spend millions of dollars sending sparks up into the air.

New year sewing has happened!  Three blocks, BOM obligations for my quilt group, were made today and will be handed in next week, one slightly late and two early.  Pieces for the new autumn leaf quilt made handy "leaders and enders", so a few pieces have already been joined.  First project for 2020 started - yay for me!
Spent a little time pairing up print triangles to background triangles, and wouldn't you know it - there are two background triangles over.  Either I cut two too many, or I cut two too few print triangles.  Either way is easily fixable and the world won't stop spinning on its axis.  It's only fabric.......

Have you all made your new year resolutions?  I decided many years ago to make none, and have kept to that.  Be good to each other, be kind to yourself.  Eat chocolate.

"Parties in the country.
Morning and afternoon parties in the country, or at watering-places, are of a less formal character than in cities.  The hostess introduces such of her guests as she thinks most likely to be mutually agreeable.  Music or some amusement is essential to the success of such parties."

We listened to a classical music radio station last night - that does that count?

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jennifer. Wishing you a rainy 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope that you see some rain soon - and that the fires stop ... we drank our glasses of sumpin sumpin well before midnight and went our separate ways, sans fireworks ... kindness and chocolate would go a long way toward World Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all the very best. I am not big on the fireworks myself (I don't like the noise) but I agree on the sensitivity to what is going on …. there are so many other ways all that money could be spent. The sewing start looks great...excellent way to begin 2020 in my view!
    Wishing lots of rain... lots... and lots....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jennifer, it is so good to know you are okay and the fires are not affecting you . I hope and pray for widespread rain for your country, it sounds very grim for such a large area. NYE was very quiet here too, hubby was in bed by 9, I stayed up past midnight. We have both had bad colds and coughs for 3 weeks now, so energy levels are low. I haven't been in Blogland much lately, but think of you every day and hope you continue to be safe from the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer great post ,I agree that the money spent on fireworks could've been put to better use.
    Happy New Year my friend and Thankyou for the support you have given my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year. May the fires stay well away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear that the fires are far from you. We have other friends who are much closer but they are ok as well. Thank you for your wonderful blog. I love the inspiration you give me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!