Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Big MUSIC is done!

Finished......completed......whatever.  It has now moved from the sewing room to the dining room table.

I used a black and random spot fabric from my stash for the binding after finding out that my original choice (tiny black spots and stars on a white background) clashed horribly.  Its background was dazzlingly blindingly white, this background is off white, and never should those twain meet.
Even the backing has spots to match the front fabrics, I was thrilled to find it at - guess where? - our local Spotlight store, known to Aussies as 'Spotties'!
Minimal quilting - in the ditch around the letters, and two rows of wiggly stitch (I think its proper name is serpentine zig zag stitch, but wiggly will do) in the border.  It will never win prizes at a quilt show but it was a fun project, a souvenir of our trip to Canada in late 2018.

The latest news on every web site and news bulletin is, or course, the dreaded virus sweeping the world and making otherwise sane people act like idiots.  Therefore, in the interests of your sanity and mine, this blog is hereby declared a virus free zone.

Do really obvious errors in spelling and grammar leap out at everyone, or is it just me?  I don't go looking for them, but some are so obvious they are hard to ignore.  Our town has a paper published every day except Sunday, and once a week a free paper with gleanings from the almost-daily paper, plus a few other articles - a local historian has an interesting article, for instance - makes its way round town.  It also contains the real estate insert from the previous Saturday's paper.  While browsing through said insert a few days ago I happened across a listing for a two bedroom unit near the centre of town which, and I quote, "epidermises lifestyle and convenience!"

Those conveniences are probably only skin deep, you know......

Does anyone name their sewing machines?  I don't.  They are inanimate objects, so as such don't need a name.  Never in my life have I seen the sense in naming a car, or a machine, although many people do.

We are now in my favourite part of summer, the wind-down stage.  Trees are starting to look a little faded and less bright than a month ago although it will be a while yet before leaves change colour, and temperatures are actually quite pleasant.  We don't need to sprint from shady spot to shady spot when out and about as it's now possible to spend a short time in the sun without worrying about frying.  The only sad note is, apricot season is over.  I lurve apricots.  Dried just aren't the same as fresh.  Sigh.......

"Ostentatious display of knowledge.
In refined and intelligent society one should always display himself at his best, and make a proper and legitimate use of all such requirements as he may happen to have.  But there should be no ostentatious or pedantic show of erudition.  Besides being vulgar, such a show subjects the person to ridicule."

This is true.  I do, however, know enough to know that there is quite a difference between "epidermises" and "epitomises", and how to use them correctly.  If in doubt I would consult a dictionary for spelling and usage, not my computer's spell check.

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. I just LOVE your sense of humor! Or rather, you use of sarcasm. It certainly matches my own! I think grammar is where I get stuck sometimes - some people just don't speak rightly! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my Singer machine "Singer". My fancy computer machine is just "my machine". Of course, all my dogs have "Dog" as their middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your BIG Music.... it's just right and shows up so well.... great job with that..... Yes I notice grammar... it doesn't worry me mostly except when it is 'professionally' done - like books, newspapers etc... ordinary people like me are allowed poor grammar IMHO.... haha.... and no I don't name my machines... I did once to keep up with friends but I forgot their names (the machines)…. have a lovely rest of week.. we had a nice bit of rain yesterday...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. those MUSIC dots are fabulous!!!

    i didn't start out naming my machines, but they were insistent (so i would stop calling them bad words) ... Sven Thorson and Thor Batrastardson (both are Vikings) and Betty Black (i have never used her - she's a Featherweight) ... i have my mom's Elna, but i don't know what his name is ...my cars have all had names, too - and they have all been males...

    others' bad grammar gets on my last nerve, but my own does not...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!