Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Brrr.......

Winter hasn't yet gone......this morning was frosty chilly, minus 2 deg C, and the past few days a nasty chilly wind has stopped us from frolicking among the dandelions in our bare feet.  We have even had a fire again, much to Bianca's delight.  Next weekend is supposed to be a different story.

Black and white fabrics have been getting cut out.  The last of this was used.  I'm not into collecting and re-using selvedges, but I will keep this one because......
......my middle name is Grace!

'Jennifer' was a very popular name for girls of my age, there were several other Jennifers in my year at school.  Most were Jennifer Ann/Anne, one was Jennifer Margaret, but I am Jennifer Grace.

My mother had a cousin, Dorothy Grace, who died in 1926 when she was only 15.  While I wasn't the first girl born in the family after her death I was, as far as I know, the first one to be named after Dorothy Grace, whose middle name seems to have been used in preference to her first name.  Thank goodness for that, I say; 'Jennifer Dorothy' would have been a bit of a mouthful.

We will be lying a little low for the next couple of weeks as school holidays may bring visitors (and their germs) to our town, now that the world is opening up a little.  The only outings will be for some hunting and gathering, although the thought of a road trip is taking shape in my mind.  One of the possible routes we take when going to Canberra has an alternative road which we were warned was not suitable for caravans, but it has apparently now been upgraded and sealed......so we might, one day soon, go for a Nice Sunday Drive on a weekday to a smaller town and try out said road sans caravan.  If we think it's a bit hairy for the return trip we can come home via the slightly longer way that we have previously used.

Perhaps one day we may be able to take the caravan away again, but who knows what may happen next year?  Already many events which would have taken place in 2021 are being cancelled.

Thursday night choir is back, although numbers are down.  The ukulele group is in talks, as they say in the media, about returning in a couple of weeks and it's looking positive.  Playing in a group again would be wonderful.

"The table appointments.
A snow-white cloth of the finest damask, beautiful china, glistening or finely-engraved glass, and polished plate are considered essential to a grand dinner.  Choice flowers, ferns and mosses tastefully arranged, add much to the beauty of the table.  A salt-cellar should be placed within the reach of every guest.  Napkins should be folded square and placed with a roll of bread upon each plate.  The dessert is placed on the table amidst the flowers.  An epergne, or a low dish of flowers, graces the centre; stands of bon-bons and confectionery are ranged on both sides of the table, which complete the decorations of the table.  The name of each guest, written upon a card and placed one on each plate, marks the seat assigned."

Oh my.....I wonder what the author of these words would think about the current habit (one in which, I'm afraid, Kevin and I do sometimes indulge, and I would bet some of you do too) of eating from a tray on one's lap while watching television?

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Eating on a tray watching TV used to be the norm in our house and I finally put my foot down and demanded we use our table instead for mealtimes. While we sit in the morning room for meals, we still have the TV going....so much for table talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been counting on enjoying your warm weather, through your blog.I hope it warms up, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lovely Aunt Grace.... cold chill up this way but not like your kind of cold.... winters last hoorah maybe...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Grace. We weren't to bad here....bit cool and single digits but thankfully not cold. Dinner on a tray in front of TV definitely happens in my house x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tut tut, we never do that. On the other hand, we do have a small tv in the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do sit at the table to eat, but certainly not as described. I totally lost it when I read, "stands of bon-bons and confectionery are ranged on both sides of the table". Clearly, we've been doing this meal thing all wrong...!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we eat in front of the tee vee, now that we are both adults (in age, if not in practice), and i am totally okay with it - unless we are eating something really messy ... i have a teenaged granddaughter named Grace and she is not a nice person most of the time - but i still like the name, and the State of (Grace)...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!