Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

The village is growing

Two houses were made this week.
Bright pink spots - my stash is not entirely lacking in pink - and I don't know what you would call the house on the left, rust, perhaps?  Brick?  It's not quite brown, anyway.  My village will not be Dullsville, and there are a few more cut out ready to be sewn.

It needs a witty name, but that will come in time......probably in a blinding flash of brilliance when least expected.  In the shower, perhaps.

More black and white fabrics have been cut.  A new blade in one's rotary cutter makes a world of difference!  That one does have a name - 'Imprismed', because of the rainbow which will flow through it.

Stitches have been sewn on the tumbler quilt, and the panels are becoming larger; the first of three wide panels is now underway, each panel is eight tumblers wide.  

Blogger has been playing up a little of late - why are we not surprised?  A couple of comments didn't make it into my email inbox, they were dumped into my spam folder which I only check when I remember to, so if you leave a comment and I don't get back to you fairly soon don't worry.  It's in hand.

Our local birds have been active this week.  A male Crested Pigeon has been strutting his stuff to no avail; the object of his affection seems to be muttering "dirty devil" under her breath as she flutters away from him.  Doesn't stop him from pursuing her, though - they are quite funny.  A pair of magpies pop in regularly for some steak, a Grey Butcherbird is aso a regular visitor, a family of Magpie Larks - peewees - tells the larger magpies off, and a Red Wattlebird tells them all off.  Talk about the pecking order......they are very entertaining.

No special outings to report this week, just the usual hunting and gathering.  Quilt group met on Tuesday, choir was on Thursday night - suitably distanced with everyone sitting, as it has been since we resumed - and tomorrow afternoon the remnants of the ukulele group are coming here to play together for the first time in over six months.  If we meet at the golf club (as we did for quite a while) we have to abide by government regulations of sitting, no standing or walking around......most of us prefer to stand while playing......signing in, etc.  By coming here we can be more relaxed and informal.  Our town hasn't had a case of the covid plague since April so we feel confident to go ahead.  Most cases are happening in bigger cities with much larger populations, but everyone has to abide by the same regulations.

The thought of playing music with friends again has me all a-flutter with excitement, I can tell you - notes have even been plinked in preparation!

 "Duties of a hostess and host.
Tact and self-possession are demanded of the hostess, in order that she may perform her duties agreeably, which are not onerous.  She should instruct her servants not to remove her plate until her guests have finished.  If she speaks of any omission by which her servants have inconvenienced her guests, she must do it with dignity, not betraying any undue annoyance.  She must put her guests at their ease, and pay every possible attention to the requirement of each and all around her.  No accident must disturb her; no disappointments embarrass her.  If her precious china and her rare glass are broken before her eyes, she must seem to take but little or no notice of it."

I shall endeavour to be a gracious ukulele hostess tomorrow, but won't be using the precious china or rare glass.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. Love the name you have chosen for your black and white quilt - that's perfect!
    I know you will have a wonderful time with your musical friends. My grandmother called her china "the leave home dishes"; if you broke one, you had to leave home. Fortunately none of us ever did, and my sister inherited the entire set...which still comes with the same warning when we use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the evolution of your house quilt....and I adore the name you chose for the black and white project. So glad you are able to meet up with your groups again...be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have found comments in Spam, hopefully once they are marked not spam they will come to the normal folder again. The houses are fun and it will be great all together.... So nice to be doing some of the usual groups etc again even with restrictions for the time being....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. New happy residents for your village! Lovely! Love watching the birdlife as you said very entertaining. Enjoy your plinking xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying seeing you build your houses .... so colourful! Birds are always fun to watch. At the cottage this summer, we put up a Hummingbird feeder and watched the antics for hours. They watched us too and told us when to change the feeder. They would flutter in front of the screen and look at us and fly back and forth until I went out and took down the feeder and started the cleaning and making new sugar syrup. If I was too slow, they would come back and flutter again and again until I came out with the feeder.

    Have fun playing your music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, choir, a distant dream for us. Your houses are going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!