Do we dare to hope that it's actually raining? It has also cooled right down, so Kevin is a picture of sartorial splendour in the trakky daks. I may be joining him soon as my bare tootsies are feeling a little chilly.
Two more houses have been made.
There's definitely an orange and purple vibe going with these two. The aim is to make two houses a week; I'm not trying to bust a speed record with this, but they are fun and I enjoy making them. I'm deliberately not matching patterns.......how they are cut is how they are sewn.All the black and white fabrics for "Imprismed" are now cut, yay! It will be foundation pieced, so lots of mindless sewing - my favourite kind - is involved. Some thought is being given to how the edges will be finished, although that decision won't be needed for a while; I am leaning toward a narrow black and white stripe. Perhaps. Maybe. On the other hand I had also thought of a facing sewn to the back, facings are often used on modern and art quilts......but I don't know if mine will be modern enough, or arty enough, or what. (Probably or what, if truth be known.) I'll let the quilt tell me what it needs when the time comes.
Ukulele group met here on Monday afternoon, and we certainly had fun. It was good to be getting together again after so long, and Clare arrived with these beautiful roses from her garden. We have been enjoying them, they smell wonderful.
This beautiful tablecloth was made by my mother's Aunty Laura. It was photographed to show to Karen - now you can all enjoy it. The centre is linen, probably Irish, and measures 20-1/2 in square.
The tatting border is a bit over nine inches wide all round.
Aunty Laura's two children both died young, in sad circumstances. She and her husband were left in their mid-forties with no children, so she seems to have turned her hand to making exquisite lace; I don't know whether she could already tat before then, but judging by the pieces she left she was no novice. I also have several of her doilies (some with linen centres, some all lace) and a padded tea cosy of cream lace lined with pale green taffeta, possbly from the 1930s-early 1940s, as Aunty Laura died in 1948.
This beautiful tablecloth was made by my mother's Aunty Laura. It was photographed to show to Karen - now you can all enjoy it. The centre is linen, probably Irish, and measures 20-1/2 in square.
The tatting border is a bit over nine inches wide all round.
Aunty Laura's two children both died young, in sad circumstances. She and her husband were left in their mid-forties with no children, so she seems to have turned her hand to making exquisite lace; I don't know whether she could already tat before then, but judging by the pieces she left she was no novice. I also have several of her doilies (some with linen centres, some all lace) and a padded tea cosy of cream lace lined with pale green taffeta, possbly from the 1930s-early 1940s, as Aunty Laura died in 1948.
The question is, what's going to happen to all this beautiful lace when I die? I very much doubt that either daughter-in-law will want it, and as I have no female descendants it will probably end up being thrown out or donated to an op shop. I would prefer the op shop option, because hopefully then someone will see it and love it enough to want it.
In the meantime, I shall enjoy owning and displaying it.
"Accepting hospitality a sign of good-will.
As eating with another under his own roof is in all conditions of society regarded as a sign of good-will, those who partake of proffered hospitalities, only to gossip about and abuse their host and hostess, should remember, that in the opinion of all honorable persons, they injure themselves by so doing."
This is true.

It is raining here in southwest Missouri as well. We are bordering on drought conditions so the rain is certainly welcome!
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine has collected samples of the fine hand work her mother, grandmother, aunts and great aunt's made. She recently brought her collection to our quilt group so we could all ooo and ahh. Don't discount your daughters-in-law, they might surprise you.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I recently turned down my grandmother-in-law's silver tea service because I don't want to have to clean it.
Maybe one day when I check my mailbox, that beautiful tatted cloth will be there. :) I love old linens and lace and often scour yard sales and antique shops for them.
ReplyDeleteYour house blocks are always so cheery looking. How many will you make?
The roses are so beautiful!
Our sky is teasing us this afternoon but only a few spits so far! Lovely new residents for your village! Gorgeous roses...my oh my what a gorgeous heirloom your cloth is...simply stunning!
ReplyDelete