Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2021

The next row begins

The next stage in the Cunning Plan for the neighbourhood houses has started.
Four triangles to turn the block on point, a chance (yet another) to dip into the black and white stash.  Each block only requires two, 5-1/4 in squares cut once on the diagonal so this will be easy; the goal is to do two a week which, even with my sometimes hectic life, is possible.

The step after this requires 277, 2-1/2 in green squares.  I reckon if I cut just a few from as many green fabrics as possible it will be done before we know it, particularly as there are about 70 already cut.  The blocks are sashed, but the sashing is quite narrow - one inch cut, so only 1/2 in finished.  I have a yellow and black fabric which will, I think, turn out to be The Very Thing to make sashing pathways between the houses.

Those BOMs have been finished.  When I went to do the block given by the whip cracker I found it was already sewn - it was in a plastic bag, and she didn't check if it was completed.  That made one less.  Jolly good.

We are having quite a taste of winter lately!  Days have been sunny but fairly cool - downright chilly at times - and nights and mornings have been frosty.  Trees around town are shedding the last of their autumn colour now; it won't be long until they are bare for a few months.

Our state government has been handing out goodies as if there is no tomorrow, to keep the economy moving after lockdowns.  We have vouchers so we can go out and eat - two each for "dining", and vouchers so we can "discover" something.  In our case that probably means going to the movies or the theatre, but right now there is nothing at the movies which appeals to either of us.  We don't do superheroes or blokey action movies, don't do 'rom coms' (whatever they are), most certainly do not do teenage angst, and a friend recently pointed out that while there are movies being made about older people they all seem to have the theme of dementia and are quite depressing. Which doesn't leave much choice, does it?  Living away from the Big Smoke means that there aren't the opportunities for "discovery" that city slickers have.  

Oh well......if we can't use them, then we can't.

It would have been nice if they were able to be used in fabric shops......or music shops......speaking of which my tenor uke is loving its new strings, it sounds gorgeous again.  We have a music shop here in town, but after a few attempts to buy strings from them I have given up and will not spend my dollars there.  Their service is poor and their knowledge of music no better.  Given a choice I will always support a local business, but there's no choice in this.  There is an excellent music shop in a town an hour north; I would rather make the trek up there, or buy strings online from an interstate retailer who gives excellent service.

"If by chance anything unpleasant is found in the food, such as a hair in the bread or a fly in the coffee, remove it without remark.  Even though your own appetite be spoiled, it is well not to prejudice others."

Besides which, there might not be enough to go around.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. A friend and I were reminiscing about road trips to fabric stores in nearby towns with lunch out. Governments have some odd ideas about which businesses should receive stimulus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means, don't share the fly with your friends! HaHa! Things seem to be picking up here as well....but customer service sure has suffered - folks either don't know the answer or don't care to find out the answer! Love the way the houses are going to go together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your usual humourous observations. Our weather is much like yours at present - frosty nights and cool mornings (enough to involve the furnace), but pleasant days.
    Your houses will look smashing on point, and the black and white triangles are a perfect choice to make the colourful abodes stand out.
    We are still in lockdown, but are set to start phase 1 of lifting restrictions on Wednesday. We are looking forward to having a few things open up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the addition of the black and white fabrics. I'm trying to envision where those green squares are going ..... time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the look of the houses. There is lots to it and it will be so lovely when it's all together.... Hope you find something to 'discover' that doesn't involve flies in your soup...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!