There is cauliflower and chorizo soup in the slow cooker. It used to be made with bacon - perhaps I found the recipe online, I disremember - however on one occasion we didn't have any bacon, but there was chorizo in the fridge so I used it instead. We liked it so much better that I don't use bacon in that recipe anymore, we much prefer the smokey flavour of chorizo.
Then just after lunch I really pushed the boat out and made a fruit slice, a favourite of ours. Every time it's made there are variations; originally I used 'fruit medley' but over the years all manner of fruit has been used, depending on what's in the pantry. So long as the amount of fruit is correct it doesn't matter what is used; I often chuck in a handful of nuts as part of the weight, either walnuts or pecans are good, and make up the total with dried fruit. This time it's crimson raisins (because there were some in the pantry), fruit medley (ditto), and fresh walnuts given to us by a nice man at Sofala on our trip south in April. He was harvesting walnuts from his tree before the birds ate them all, we stopped to chat on our way back to the car, and he shared some of his bounty with us......how nice was that! We have tried a piece of slice each, and agree that it's not bad at all.
There is a finish to report this week.
The scarf which has been simmering along is finally done! Pattern is Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf on Ravelry, yarn is Bis-Sock from Quebec bought in Courteney, B.C. on our last trip to Canada, made on a 4.5 mm needle. The colourway is called "A la Belle Etoile", and it will be cosy and cheerful for our current cool weather.Stitches have been cast on for a new jumper, and it will be shown when there is a bit more progress.
This week's additions. The pink spotted house looks as though it is being whirled around in a cyclone, while the lime print is surrounded by birds' nests. Or perhaps alien life forms......
Just for fun I laid them out on the fabric which will be used for the narrow sashing between blocks, and have decided it's a good choice. The pattern calls for 'fabric for sashing to equal one yard', and my piece is almost a full metre - it's two inches over a yard, so it will be Just Right.
Just for fun I laid them out on the fabric which will be used for the narrow sashing between blocks, and have decided it's a good choice. The pattern calls for 'fabric for sashing to equal one yard', and my piece is almost a full metre - it's two inches over a yard, so it will be Just Right.
It was bought many years ago when we lived in the Big Smoke, at a quilt guild market day. The family of a well known quilter was selling fabrics and books from her estate and I fell in love with this bright yellow fabric as soon as I saw it, even though I didn't have a use for it at the time. Now it can have its turn in the sun as walkways through the neighbourhood.
We seem to have left the really really cold weather behind for now. Next weekend is the start of school holidays, so it will probably turn cold and wet again......never fails, does it.......

Next Saturday afternoon I will once again make a fool of myself in public and sing a song, accompanied of course by my gorgeous tenor ukulele, in the Mature Performers section of the Eisteddfod. This year's effort (which would have been last year's, had not the world shut down) is a parody of 'La Vie En Rose'; it is all in French, but consists of words strung together with brand names and familiar phrases. I don't enter expecting to win......good heavens no, the winner has to have a photograph taken with their trophy and I have a severe allergy to having my photo taken......but just to have fun. Next year's song has also been chosen.
"Eat neither too fast nor too slow."
Sage advice. Too fast and you may cause discomfort to yourself, too slow and you may inconvenience your table companions - although I have always been a slow eater since childhood, but I try to keep pace with my fellow diners.
Enjoy your days!

I love that scarf. Self striping yarns give such interesting results.
ReplyDeleteGee, I was hoping for a YouTube video of your performance.
I'm with you on Chorizo... great addition to soup.... and I love that scarf.. the pattern looks complicated but so effective.... the houses are coming along well and perfect sashing fabric.... enjoy the singing.... I am a fast eater.. too many years at boarding school where the fast ones get the food! and also much of it was pretty disgusting so eating fast reduced the pain of bad tasting stuff!!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely week...
Hugz
Oh, you are going to have such fun singing and playing the uke! That yellow is perfect for your houses! Love your Canadian scarf.
ReplyDelete