Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Greening the corner gardens

All the triangles for the outer corners are done.
Now they will be set aside with the completed houses, and eventually they will all make their way into the quilt.  Eventually.  Joining squares has now started for the side triangles; each block will need 49 squares set in seven rows of seven, then will be cut into four quarter-square triangles.  When the decision was made to do this it seemed quite tedious, but actually it's not.......and every stitch will be worth it, when finished.

This week's houses, a black house surrounded by white and a white house surounded by black.
By the time the setting decision was taken several houses had already been made using black and white fabrics so they will be set with the opposite; dark houses will be surrounded by white, and white houses will have black.  

This is the back of the quilt shown last week.  The orange fabric wasn't ~quite~ wide enough so a strip using leftover fabrics from the front was made, a technique used in other quilts too.
All the Canadian quilt blocks have had their stabiliser removed so now they are set aside for a while, because I want to make the back for the (as yet un-named) tumbler quilt.  When we were down south a few months ago I bought some extra wide fabric for the back, and now the plan is to insert a strip to make it longer.  There were tumblers left from the front because too many were cut, so they have been pieced into a strip which, however, needs more width......and my brain is thinking about how to do it, so watch this space.  When that's done it will be booked in for long arm quilting, because it's too big for me to handle.

The flower basket quilt is also being worked on, it's currently a TV project (either that or knitting) - my goodness, it's going to be huge.  It will also be quilted by a long armer.

That's my colourful week, how has yours been?

Playing with bright fabrics was certainly more fun than having my second covid plague shot, which I did a few days ago.  Now I suppose I'm as vaccinated as I can currently be, and Kevin will also be on Tuesday.  I am, however, still staying home because of the compulsory mask rule; he is quite happy to do shopping and household running around, and I am happy to let him.

There is a sporting event being held in another country and it doesn't interest us one bit; there is already far too much sport on T.V.  Members of our family have lost work because of lockdowns and shutdowns, but these people can quite happily swan off overseas, kick a ball and grin for the camera.  They waffle on about "winning a medal for my country" and "doing the country proud" but at the end of the day where does that medal end up?  Probably on a shelf in their own bedroom, unseen and uncared about by the rest of us.  Our orchestras, our actors and dancers, are up there with the best but don't get the rah rahs that sport people do.  I eagerly await the day that our national ballet company or one of our orchestras gets a 'welcome home parade' on completion of an overseas tour as is often done for sport people but I suspect hell will be long frozen over by the time that happens - which, sadly, doesn't say much about us as a nation, does it?

I've been reading mystery books downloaded for free on my tablet, and these books vary from quite good to not good at all.  If they don't grab my interest they are deleted unfinished, in some cases barely started, and another is opened.  At my age I don't know how many years are left to me, but I'm darn sure I'm not going to waste any of them reading a badly-written book.  Having said that there have been some I have enjoyed so much that I have sought out others by the same author......but only if they're free, of course.  

"Receptions, parties and balls.
Morning receptions, as they are called, but more correctly speaking, afternoon parties, are generally held from four to seven o'clock in the afternoon.  Sometimes a sufficient number for a quadrille arrange to remain after the assemblage has for the most part dispersed."

Can you dance a quadrille?  I can, and indeed have often done so; I used to enjoy dancing and only stopped not that many years ago.  In my next life, however, I am going to marry a bloke who dances......because Kevin does not and will not dance, so I relied on friends to partner me.  A 'sufficient number' for a quadrille is eight people, four couples.

Enjoy your days!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see the gardens getting landscaped for your village.... these things take time.... glad the vac's are done.... best we can do about it
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!