Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Spring is sprung

The grass is riz, and all that......

When we moved here back in 2010 there were a few plants in the garden that we couldn't identify, one of which was a bushy shrub just in front of the house....a camellia, I thought.  Kevin wanted to park the caravan on that side of the house and the shrub was in the way so he hacked into it somewhat severely, only to find that there wasn't enough room to wiggle the van past the house anyway.  Fast forward a few months and we noticed it sported masses of unassuming little flowers with the most heavenly scent, so I took a sample to the plant nursery to be told it's a Port Wine Magnolia, a slow-growing  - and very expensive to buy - plant, so he probably hacked several years and goodness knows how many dollars growth from it.  I have since said that judicious pruning is allowed; hacking is not.

I had to stand on our verandah to take this shot, the shrub is much taller than I am.  The neighbours' house is two story, to give you an idea of scale; and it's also taller than our caravan which you can just see at the side.
The leaves are not really as yellow as they look here, it was late afternoon on an overcast day.
One sprig was picked to bring the fragrance inside, sadly it only lasted a day before wilting but the scent hung around for longer.
The smell is fruity rather than flowery, and is a little reminiscent of apples.  Sort of but not quite......

This week's houses, one surrounded by tiny yachts.  I like the starry print on the green house.
Some people make a quilt by making one block a day.  For mine I am making two houses a week, plus one or two strips of greens for the setting triangles.  It's being nibbled at, rather than bitten into.

More work was done on "Imprismed", but there's no hurry to finish as it will be one of next year's projects.

A few days ago the dreaded bag over the head mask was donned, a brief visit (see what I did there?) paid to a shop which sells undies, and a purchase was made to keep dignity intact.  While out and about I called at the closing-down quilt shop and asked advice about my quilt as you go problem, which hopefully is now sorted.  There isn't a lot of stock left in the shop now but I did manage a purchase, all that was left on the roll of a lovely autumn leaf print.  Sale price is 50% off fabrics, 60% if you buy what's left on the roll.....so I saved more money that way, yes?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......

Kevin also managed to get his hair cut.  We have to grab opportunities with both hands when they present themselves in case there is another sudden snap lockdown, which is the way of our world at present.  My hair could also do with a trim, but it can wait a couple of weeks until after the school holidays when there won't be so many people out and about.  Let's face it......when your hair is already below shoulder length a bit longer doesn't matter, does it?  

This morning we woke to heavy fog with our expansive view completely gone, it has turned into a sunny afternoon - but winter is coming back in a couple of days with a very cold change, just to remind us that it hasn't, after all, completely left.  Just as well we haven't used all the firewood.

"The dress at a musical matinee is the same as at a reception, only bonnets are more generally dispensed with.  Those who have taken part, often remain for a hot supper."

Perhaps that means one could wear ribbons, flowers, feathers or some other such frippery in one's hair instead of the bonnet?  I have flower hair clips in many colours......except for pink.  I don't do pink.

Enjoy your days!

1 comment:

  1. The port wine is pretty....we had a whole hedge of them but it struggled in the drought and we had to pull them out....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!