Is that a real expression? Or should it be 'making progress'?
Either way, some progress has been made sewing the binding down on 'Weeds of Grace'. It's a very warm quilt to have on one's lap, let me tell you. That plus a shoulder and neck which have been somewhat bothersome of late means it's not a quick job, but there are no prizes for getting to the end first, are there? Except for the satisfaction of finally finishing.
The binding and inside border are from the same fabric, a different range and designer from the leafy stripe, but both by Moda. They hold hands and play nicely together, don't they?When I am hand-sewing binding to the back of a quilt I start a little way up from a corner, keep sewing......turn the first corner, keep sewing.....repeat.....which means that, by the time the last corner is turned, there isn't much binding left to be sewn. Works for me.
There has also been progress on the Canadian quilt. Four blocks have now been quilted then joined in pairs, now those pairs have been joined into a panel; the sashing on the back is next to be sewn down - more hand sewing - a couple of parallel lines of quilting through the sashing to hold everything together, then another block can be quilted and joined. The bothersome neck and shoulder have a lot to answer for lately; it would be much further along if not for them.
This week's houses. I can hear you all singing "Autumn leaves" from here: "the falling leaves drift by my window....." A light purple house, or should that be lavender or lilac or some such colour? It has teeny yellow stars on it, and a garden, and apples on the roof. The doors for both houses were cut from the same fabric which shaded from lime to sort-of-aqua/turquoise. There is none left now.
How have you all been this week? We have had some stormy weather, but we fared better than a town just an hour away which had a tornado go through which left, as news reporters love to say, a trail of destruction in its wake. (reporters do love a good cliché, don't they?) The following night we had quite a wind storm here with rain and in some places hail, but fortunately it blew itself out fairly soon. I read somewhere that when summer coming in meets winter going out, the results can be volatile......which they certainly have been, this year.
How have you all been this week? We have had some stormy weather, but we fared better than a town just an hour away which had a tornado go through which left, as news reporters love to say, a trail of destruction in its wake. (reporters do love a good cliché, don't they?) The following night we had quite a wind storm here with rain and in some places hail, but fortunately it blew itself out fairly soon. I read somewhere that when summer coming in meets winter going out, the results can be volatile......which they certainly have been, this year.
The nightly news has mask-wearing people being interviewed, and we can neither hear nor understand what most of them are saying. I don't know who decided that interviewing someone who was unintelligible makes for good television, but let me tell you - it doesn't. One woman interviewed was wearing a black mask covering much of her face, reflective sunglasses, and a floppy hat covering the rest of her face. She looked like a scary faceless alien, and for all we know....because we couldn't understand a word she said.....she may have been one.
We are now being told that, because our state has reached a high enough number of double vaccinated people, that more freedoms will be allowed rfom tomorrow. Whoopy doo. I am waiting until the powers-that-be say we can leave off the masks, then I will be a happy woman again.
We are also required, as well as doing the sign-in thingy with our phones everywhere we go (which my phone doesn't do anyway) to show phone or paper proof that we have been injected twice. I am waiting for "them" to require us to sign away our first-born child as well......
At least the ukulele group has been meeting again! We gather here each Monday afternoon and have, hopefully, two upcoming gigs, so that's an incentive to pick up the uke at other times too. I have also discovered a fun song called "Let the mermaids flirt with me" which we will probably put into our repertoire next year.
"There is less formality at a kettle-drum than at a larger day reception. The time is spent in desultory conversation with friends, in listening to music, or such entertainment as has been provided.
Gentlemen wear the usual morning dress. Ladies wear the demi-toilet, with or without bonnets."
I don't know about you all, but it has been some time since I wore a bonnet.
Enjoy your days!

I thought I was the only one to sew binding by hand that way. Start a bit after a corner and work my way around till the last corner and then only a bit more to go. No wonder we get along so well! Be safe, my faraway friend.
ReplyDeleteI am perhaps weird but I really enjoy sewing binding down. Looking over your work. The binding and border work well together. Another lovely village duo. A storm is approaching us as I type...they are expected all week.
ReplyDeleteGreat progress on all those projects..... it has been warm for binding on laps.... some of them are a long way around..... we had some wonderful rain yesterday - hard but we didn't get the hail they did just 10km from us...
ReplyDeleteHugz