Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2021

'Weeds of Grace' is finished!

My magnum opus is done, and what an opus it is.  Had the weather been kinder some very artistic pics could have been taken outside, perhaps even in a park - but it has been, still is, and will continue to rain so inside it had to be.
To give an idea of size, this is on a queen sized bed.  The back is not boring either.
You can see the backing, a wide fabric bought in Canberra on our trip south earlier in the year......when I saw it I knew it would be The Very Thing.  It's the first time I have used a wide backing fabric, and it won't be the last.

The label is hand embroidered on a fabric used for some of the tumblers, and edged with a piece of leftover binding.
The week has been productive, more of the Canadian quilt is done, and there is only one block to go - yee har!  I want to have the centre panel done before next Saturday for the big reveal; our challenge this year was to finish a UFO, and this was mine.  Borders won't be done by then, but it is much further along than it was in February when we started.
'Weeds of Grace' will also go along to be flashed around for show and tell, another finished UFO.

This week's houses, butterflies around a striped house and bicycles around a fishy house.  There is a saying "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" which was coined by the women's movement in 1970, so I couldn't resist putting the fish and bikes together.
There are not many houses left to be bordered now.

This morning the ukulele group played our first gig since February, and great fun it was too!  We played at a charity fair and were allocated a spot under cover (fortunately, because......rain) so we had an audience the whole time.  We tried some songs which were new to us and some old favourites; we had people singing along, and were given many compliments.  Considering how out-of-practice we are at playing for an audience, we did very well indeed - let's hope that next year brings more opportunities to play.

According to a web page which has information about what is being celebrated on a particular day, week or month, today is World Television Day.  It will probably be marked in this household by leaving the television off, because there is a lot which just doesn't appeal to us.  Perhaps we're just weird......Kevin is currently watching a car race.  With the sound off.  Because sports commentary is mind-numbingly unutterably boring and far too loud, to me.  We came to an agreement many years ago whereby he watches sport, and I listen to something else.

"The music.
Four musicians are enough for a "dance".  When the dancing room is small, the flageolet is preferable to the horn, as it is less noisy and marks the time as well.  The piano and violin form the mainstay of the band; but when the rooms are large enough a larger band may be employed."

Some of our songs this morning could have been danced to, but no one did.  In the past I have played in bands for dances and loved it.  A flageolet is a wind instrument similar to a recorder; I wonder if it would have been heard when being played for dancers?  Perhaps if the dancing room was small enough, it would have been all right.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Weeds of Grace is fabulous....even the back! Congrats on a beautiful finish. Good luck with your UFO goal....love the houses and the fish on a bicycle saying! Lol! So happy for you that you are performing again xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeds of Grace is stunning, front and back. Your borders and backing fabric complement the centre piecing perfectly. What an accomplishment, Jennifer. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that quilt is just lovely. A true triumph! Well done, you. And the houses are coming along quite nicely. I'm so glad the world is slowly coming around and getting to leave their homes and beginning to live a normal life again. Would that it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your tumbler quilt is impressive.
    What fun getting to play for people. I think we will be awhile before we get to do things like that. Of course, snow kind of limits things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your faithful weekly posts! I look for your post each Sunday and it lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your Winds of Grace - both sides of it.... and it's great you could do a gig after all this time...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely to see your thimble quilt finished! I watched you working on it while you visited us. Have fun showing it off!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!