Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Done done done!

The last three houses have their surrounds done, just in time for the Big Occasion next weekend.
A musical house......an autumn house.......and a very purple and pink house.  Plus a (quite small) tree with jingly bells, and one of the Christmas wombats.

The black and white fabrics can be packed away until another idea for them takes root in my brain, and the green setting triangles can be made.

The borders for the Canadian quilt have all been cut out, as is the border backing.  Now to see if my quilt-as-you-go idea works.

Just in time for Christmas, summer is here with a vengeance.  We have enjoyed a fairly mild spring because of rain, but Mother Nature is making up for lost time this week.  I am not a great fan of summer....it's something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

The fat bloke in the red suit is out and about - I feel sorry for him in this heat, I'm sure he would love to swap his fur-lined boots for sandals, and his pants and jacket for shorts and tee shirt.  To say nothing of the beard and hat; a wide-brimmed hat is far more practical in summer for keeping the sun off one's face.  If I was a reindeer I would go on strike in this heat.

Early in the week Kevin, Bianca the geriatric white cat, and yours truly were peacefully minding our own business when we heard a loud thud.....what could it be, we wondered?  The neighbouring kids had been in their pool earlier, but were quiet by then; Kevin took a trot outside, walked around, listened - nothing seemed amiss.  While checking a local weather page on social media a short while later I found out that the noise was caused by a gas explosion way over on the other side of town; a large cylinder of liquid nitrogen had exploded and been blown into the air, flying quite high until gravity took over and down it came.  One person had minor injuries, fortunately no one else was hurt.  The shockwave caused by the bang was heard over a wide area on this side of the river and was the cause of the 'thud' we heard.  The bloke who runs the weather page lives not far away from the site, and the soaring cylinder captured by his weather camera was shown on the evening news.

Just around the corner from there is a cemetery in which some of my family rests.....I wonder if any of them rolled over with the shock?

Sometimes the retired life is far too exciting......

Continuing our quote:
"Introductions at a ball.
Introductions take place in a ball-room in order to provide ladies with partners, or between persons residing in different cities.  In all other cases permission is asked before giving introductions.  But where a hostess is sufficiently discriminating in the selection of her guests, those assembled under her roof should remember that they are, in a certain sense, made known to one another, and ought, therefore, to be able to converse freely without introductions."

It's quite a long chapter, so is better broken up for our weekly quote.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. That housing project sure has taken while...much like real houses nowadays, huh? I am always disconcerted when I read that you are in the middle of summer at Christmastime. It just isn't 'normal' - then again, our cold wintry weather isn't normal for you at Christmastime either. Merry Christmas to you and Kevin and Bianca from cold, wintry middle America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who chats with other people in line, wait staff, and cashier's, I guess I'm breaking the introductions rule.
    Loud thumps can certainly be worrisome when you can't figure out the source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done with the houses... I'm looking forward to seeing the village all together.... hot and steamy here but not really very high temps... like you I endure the heat.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few blocks a week and, viola, you will soon have a completed top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job ... nice houses.
    We got snow on Christmas night and the forest looks like a fairy tale, it's wonderful.
    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!