Back in those long-ago days when I was a Sweet Young Thing it was said that "blue and green should never be seen" - sometimes, "without another colour in between" was added. Now I don't know about the rest of you but every day we look out onto the green hill behind us and the blue sky above, and I think to myself, I think......"whoever thought that one up?"
Early last month it was my turn to supply a block for the members of the quilt group to make or not, as they chose, and this was mine. Yesterday I received some completed blocks and couldn't resist laying them out.
There are several blocks with green leaning toward khaki but brighter blocks will be made to balance that......there is quite a bit of green in my stash, you know. Have I ever mentioned that I am quite fond of green? It will be fun when done, but there is no hurry. After all - it's not as though I lack for projects.It needs a title. Eventually my brain will think of something clever, but until then it will be referred to as 'the paving quilt'.
The batting borders have been cut for my Canadian quilt, and I have hopes that it will be prepped this week for the borders to be quilted. I had hopes it would be done this week, but alas.....it was not to be.
Some people make resolutions at New Year - I have hopes, some of which eventuate and some of which are doomed to languish forever unfulfilled.
Well, this morning I took my courage in my hands and joined in Chookyblue's zoom......it was great fun, and lovely to see a familiar face, and to meet new ones......even if they couldn't see me! The camera on our computer doesn't always like zoom so perhaps the time has come to trot off to the big office supply store and see what options are available. We have had this camera for quite a long time; perhaps it hasn't kept up with the updates that the computer tells us need to be done from time to time.
I can't be beautiful and have a technical brain as well, you know......
The week started off with more storms; although we don't live in the tropics there are times when the weather touches on the tropical with hot days and afternoon storms. The past couple of nights have even been cool enough to have on more than a sheet over us. I suspect that Kevin would prefer to throw off the sheet on warm nights, but I like a layer of protection between my skin and Bianca's claws. She might be geriatric, but her claws are still quite sharp.
It has been a very quiet week; had the country music festival not been cancelled the town would have been bustling with people and music and concerts. We probably won't be here for the postponed April festival as our plan is to head south to spend time with family and to enjoy some autumn colours, provided the world is open by then. We live in hope.....
The coming week brings a couple of celebrations, Australia Day on Wednesday and, to stir my Scottish blood, Burns Night the previous evening. Many years ago in the Big Smoke I belonged to a Scottish country dancing group which was asked to dance at a Masonic Club Burns Night - and what an interesting evening that was! When we arrived we joined the ladies downstairs while the men conducted their Secret Business upstairs, then they joined us. After dancing we took our seats for the serious part of the evening; the haggis was piped in as was the whisky to be followed by Burns' 'Address to a Haggis', and for the first time in my life (and so far the only time) I tried haggis......it's a variation on meat loaf, served with 'neeps' and 'tatties', mashed turnips and potatoes, and was quite tasty. The haggis was duly toasted with whisky - a Scottish variation on home brew made with whisky and oatmeal was served, and very potent it was - more toasts and replies, and we were asked to repeat our dance performance as our hosts had enjoyed it so much. I do not recommend dancing reels after partaking of home brew, but somehow we managed to keep our equilibrium and our dignity intact. As we all had to drive home afterward we certainly didn't chug it down! You can read about Burns Night traditions here.
Many Australians have Scottish roots; my great-great-grandparents on my father's side came from Scotland, my great-grandfather Arthur was born in the 1840s after they arrived here, my Posh Melbourne Grandmother Florence was his daughter......so the roots are there, but they run deep.
"The number to invite.
Persons giving balls or dancing-parties should be careful not to invite more than their rooms will accommodate, so as to avoid a crush. Invitations to crowded balls are not hospitalities, but inflictions. A hostess is usually safe, however, in inviting one fourth more than her rooms will hold, as that proportion of invitations may be declined. People who do not dance will not, as a rule, expect to be invited to a ball or dancing-party."
Scottish dances were popular at balls in the time these words were written; indeed, 'Professor Christison' (as he called himself) wrote a manual of Scottish dancing and etiquette after coming to Australia, morally dubious character though he seems to have been.

Oooh I love blue and green...... Loved wearing it together when I was younger and still do now......
ReplyDeleteThe blocks look nice.....
Lovely to hear you on zoom..... Yes need to get the camera sorted......I did try to work it out with no luck......
blue and green should ALWAYS be seen ... or maybe just ALWAYS?
ReplyDeleteMy memory says that Mary Quant used green and blue together. I seem to recall wearing a flour blocked blue and green dress n high school.
ReplyDeleteI, too, am particularly fond of green...and blue is a wonderful compliment to green! I went to a ceiligh (sic?) when on a visit to Scotland back in 1999...what a fun party! Had a group of young teens with us so there wasn't any drinking of spirits involved...but fun, none-the-less!
ReplyDeleteI like the look of your pavers... lots of different greens. I remember Pink and Blue will never do, all the boys will wink at you.... I think....
ReplyDeleteHugz
You sing, you play the uke and now you used to dance! What else have you done in the musical realm? It was fun to zoom and it sounded like you had a bit of a cold. I felt unbalanced to hear but not see your face. Oh well, next time you should have it sorted. Love those blocks!
ReplyDeleteI remember that rhyme lol! But my painters palette debunks them all! I love your Pavers. My Scottish and Irish forebears passed on a love of the pipes and a good old knees up xx
ReplyDeleteWe also had this saying... "Kasper's wife goes green and blue and Kasper himself goes a bit more yellow" and the same was true for the tone-on-tone colors... pink and red e.g. b. ... have fun sewing and quilting. I'm sewing too.
ReplyDeleteScotland is our next destination... as soon as Corona lets it...
Before that I was in Ireland and we tried to dance the Irish dances in the Pub... lovely.
Hug
I never got the blue/green thing cos I love those colours together.
ReplyDelete