Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2022

A shocking thought......

.....has popped into my mind.

We are hoping to be able to go down south in April to catch up with family and to enjoy the autumn colours - and I will have no hand-pieced travel project!  Isn't that too terrible to contemplate?  My flower basket quilt is so big now it's at the stage where it's not portable any more; there is a jumper in progress which has stalled for the moment as not a stitch is knitted in summer's heat; it's a cooler weather project so it could be taken along.  Over the past several years I am quite enjoying the peace of hand-piecing, and miss it when there is none.

So......over the past little while my thoughts, as a song by Tom Paxton (one of my long-time favourite singers) says, are a-tumblin' round and round, and Tumbling Blocks fell out.  Late last year I was given a 60 deg diamond template which can be used for a one-patch project, so pieces have been cut in two different sizes.
The smaller pieces are cut around the template with seam allowances on the inside so it will be smaller again when joined, while the larger pieces have the seam allowances added to the outside.  Neither are yet joined - this is a trial to see which of the two sizes I prefer, but I suspect ease of marking and cutting will mean the larger one gets my vote.  Sides will be two inches when finished.  There is still a heap ton of reproduction fabrics, leftovers from my tumbler quilt, begging to be used; I think they will do nicely, don't you?

Finally Mother Nature has taken pity on us and cooled down our part of the earth, and it is very pleasant.  The past few nights have been downright cool; we are sleeping better, not feeling wrung-out, and are looking forward to autumn.  A couple of nights ago the news showed footage of a small town north-east of us where their trees are already changing; admittedly it has a colder climate, but it does mean that summer is heading in the right direction - away from us.  Days are shorter now too.

Great excitement in our street last weekend.  Over a few days Kevin had been noticing, in his comings and goings, several police vehicles set up outside a house further down our street - then we read in the local paper that a house was raided and a bloke arrested for manufacturing and dealing drugs, not something we want in our normally very quiet street.  Our house is number 68, this took place at number 11 so not very near us.......and now all is quiet again.

Some excitement we didn't want, though: earlier in the week someone ran into our car while it was parked, leaving the front damaged.  They did not hang around to exchange details, no one else saw anything, so we have no idea who did it - but we're the ones who have to negotiate with the insurance company, and we're the ones inconvenienced.  Cowards.  I hope their wheels fall off.

'Duties of Guests' is quite a long paragraph, so it is being broken up into smaller bites:

"It is the duty of every person who has at first accepted an invitation, and subsequently finds that it will be impossible to attend, to send a note of explanation, even at the last moment, and as it is rude to send an acceptance with no intention of going, those who so accept will do well to remember this duty."

It is very frustrating when one organises an event and people neither accept nor decline, something which I believe is becoming more prevalent in today's casual lifestyle - and something which is very discourteous to the hosts.  In fact, I would say it's downright rude.  Perhaps they are hanging out for a better offer?

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. I think that your tumbling blocks will be perfect. I feel the same when have no EPP on the go! Glad the crooks got the heave ho but sorry about your car xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing which size bocks you do and how they progress.
    Darn the slimy toad who bashed your car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blocks look great... I love the little cubes :-)))
    Yesterday the neighbor drove his car into our son's car - and he rang our bell... so we could arrange everything together. Beautiful in misfortune.
    I wish you happy sewing. p.s. I mostly knit in the car, on longer journeys as a passenger :-)
    Let's hope that there will be longer trips again soon.
    hug

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is for the larger of the two cubes...it will be less fiddly to work with in the piecing - less likely of hand cramps as well. So glad your temps are getting more manageable. We had snow last week - almost 10 inches - and so far, the melt is just beginning. Might be able to get into town in the next couple of days. I've always wanted to refuse entrance to folks who haven't responded to invitations and then just shown up at the door with a smile on their face as though nothing was wrong...I would never do that but I've always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh I like your tumblers plan - great travel project. Exciting place you live with all that action but it is a big bummer about the car. hopefully it is a quick job to get it fixed. Although I am usually prompt about saying whether i will attend or not I seldom give an explanation about it - really annoying when people say they will come and don't or vice versa thought I think there are people who just don't like to say no for some reason.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tumblers look like a great plan! Sorry to hear about your car .... yes, cowards.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!