Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2022

I have seen the light......

A few months ago when having my annual eye exam the optician recommended getting a task light.....good idea, I said.  I kept meaning to go shopping for one but time flew by then we went away and were busy after coming home again.  However - a few days ago I announced that I (we) would go light shopping.  So I (we) did.

Isn't it a pretty colour?  It goes with my green chair - in the same colour family, at least - and gives a wonderful light for handwork; the flexible neck was pulled down for this pic.  You can also see my new Jennifer table with my Stuff on it, including a wombat coaster for my drink of choice which is usually either water or coffee.
The lighting shop had this colour reduced because - can you believe it - green doesn't always sell as well as other colours do.  It is euphemistically called 'Mint' although I have never seen mint that colour; it's more like aqua, and it holds hands nicely with my smokey turquoise chair.

If you look up 'mint green' a range of colours appears, very few of which I would associate with the bright vibrant green of mint plants.  

Some fallen leaves in Canberra last month, mostly from plane trees.
Even when fallen they make a pretty picture against the grey pavers.

Plinking has happened, practice for the Eisteddfod on Saturday afternoon and the market outside town on Sunday morning.  (No sleep in for me on Sunday!)  Knitting has happened, the first sleeve on the new jumper/cardy is coming along well.  Sewing has happened, a few more diamonds have been sewn together and more have been cut.  My Canadian quilt is now on my work table waiting to have the batting tacked together inside the border layers - not as difficult as it sounds - I am looking forward to having it done.  

Books have been read, some better than others.....I've always been a quick reader, had my own library card when I was about four years old.  Neither of my parents were readers, so I don't know where I came from.

We are now seeing ads for the next sportfest, the Commonwealth Games, which will be happening in the next month or two or three, I don't really know or care.  What I do care about, what really makes my blood boil, is the wording of ads for those games, ads hailing our 'heroes' accompanied by people wearing sports clothes and waving medals.  To me a 'hero' is someone who does something selfless for another, sometimes at the risk of their own life, not someone who can run or swim faster or jump higher than another person.

Another grumble:  last night one of my favourite movies 'The Dressmaker' was on TV so we watched it - and it had scenes cut out!  How annoying was that!  At least we could still admire the wonderful costumes.  Not everyone who sees this movie has enjoyed it but anyone who grew up in a country town would, I think, get it; the pettiness of small town life, the gossip, the closing of ranks against anyone perceived as an outsider.  Our Canberra son's father-in-law also likes it; he grew up in a small town.

We've had some cold frosty mornings and some grey days.  I'm glad I don't live where the sun doesn't shine for months on end.....I can't imagine what that would be like.

Continuing on with General Rules for Balls:
"The difference between a ball and an evening party is, that at a ball there must be dancing, and at an evening party there may or may not be.  A London authority defines a ball to be "an assemblage for dancing of not less than seventy-five persons."

Considering that many dances are for two people, or for two or four couples, I wonder who decided the figure of seventy-five persons was a good number?  Someone who can't count, perhaps.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good light, especially for sewing and other crafty pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you found a good light that also matches your decor(chair). That rarely happens for me - mostly I stick with plain ol' boring white. I, too, think the word hero is overused and not used correctly these days. Sad, sad, sad. Makes me want to go find a Ball to attend....Mr. Wonderful does not care for things like that so I would make up the uneven #75! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "The Dressmaker" . I borrowed the DVD from the library so I'm pretty sure I saw the whole thing. Small towns (sigh). Couldn't get out fast enough.
    My higher math would suggest the ball is 25 young men, 25 young ladies, and 25 chaperones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great light and love the colour! Looking forward to seeing your Canadian quilt finished and lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your set up at your chair is looking good.... I love the light - it's what I would call Tiffany Blue. I just loved the Dressmaker - saw it at the movies and had no idea what it was about so it was all surprising... and then I loved the book too and enjoyed the follow on but not as much...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two of those lights.............in navy and red............love it.........and did you ask for the whitest brightest light globe that would fit into it.........that's what I got.........

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!