Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2022

That was fun!

Last Sunday's treadle demonstration and ukulele gig went well and was fun, but oh my....it was a busy day.  By the time we arrived home, unloaded the car, put the machine back together and sat down with a cuppa I was done for the day, so no blogging.

This is the base - doesn't it put you in mind of a skeleton!
It looks a bit naked without the cabinet and machine, doesn't it?  The cabinet screws into four holes at the top of the base.

The green bag was started and finished during the demonstration and the red bag would have been finished too, had it not been for the machine having conniptions with its tension.
See the tension wheel on the front left?  Part of the tension assembly includes a fine wire spring which had slipped out of place and moved, allowing the thread to wrap itself around the next guide, pull taut and snap.  Fortunately Gina (a choir friend who knows old machines inside out and backwards) was at hand to help, we fixed it and had it going again.

The ticking fabric was given to me by a former boss who, with her husband, had a side business restoring old furniture.  They did the wood finishing themselves but had an upholsterer do the seats, backs and pillows who didn't stint on quality fabrics......I know because she gave me some bags of leftovers; this sturdy ticking was included.  There were two long pillow forms already sewn along the sides and ends with openings left for stuffing; cut across the middle they make good sized bags, with strips cut off for handles.  The backing on the straps matches the lining fabrics from my stash, so they are colourful as well as being strong.

Our ukulele songs were well received, people said nice things to us and about us and the young children who danced around to our music had a great time, so much so that we have been booked for the next Spring Fair - in two years' time!

The big news item in recent times has, of course, been the death of Queen Elizabeth II.  While I sympathise with her family losing a loved mother and grandmother I really don't understand the outpouring of grief from those who would never have moved in the same circles.  She (and various other family members) visited Australia several times, but I have never seen the attraction of being squashed in a crowd just to see a hand waving out a car window.  I would, however, love to put dibs on all the emeralds....she had some beautiful emeralds, I am quite fond of green and emerald is my birthstone.....she often wore a beautiful Golden Wattle brooch which my country gave her on her first tour and which I covet mightily.  There is also a gorgeous diamond and sapphire brooch which was a gift from Canada which I really like, but will leave for my Canadian friends to fight over.  There are some very pretty jewels and trinkets in the royal vaults, I do like a nice trinket....and these are very nice indeed.

Some quilting has been done on the Canadian quilt border, yay!  Hopefully some more can be done later today.  More stitches have been knitted, more diamonds have been joined.  Words have been read, notes have been plinked.  Hunting and gathering has been done, and so passes another week with more of the same to come.

Much great excitement here on Friday, after very heavy rain the previous night we had a flood with two of the three river crossings in town being closed.  The river has gone down for now but more rain is expected later in the week, goodness knows where it will go as the ground is so wet already.  Those Who Know have assured us that another flood is possible.  Meanwhile, smaller towns downstream are currently seeing major floods with the prospect of being cut off from the outside world for several days, so I don't suppose they will need more water.

It hasn't been the weather for a barefoot frolic in a flouncy summer frock.

Continuing on with General Rules for Balls:
"When balls are given, if the weather is bad, an awning should be provided for the protection of those passing from their carriages to the house.  In all cases, a broad piece of carpet should be spread from the door to the carriage steps."

Such an awning would have been needed here on Thursday evening.  Fortunately the building in which our choir practices are held has such an awning going from the door nearly to the street, so one didn't have to sprint through the raindrops for too long before arriving at one's (self-drive) carriage.

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. I never knew the treadle came apart like that....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in a drought here so hearing about rain and rivers of water makes my heart jump a bit in excitement - not for the flooding, just the idea of the rain. I think the death of the Queen affected a lot of folks - we are flying our flags at half staff here in the U.S. as a sign of respect for her amazingly long reign and her abiity to represent her people so well. But I would never stand in line in a crowd feet deep in order to see her car go by....who's to say it's really her inside there? Just an arm waving outside the window! I;d much rather stay home and stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tote bags turned out nicely. I have never used a treadle machine. Does it count in you step count for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought the machine could be taken apart. We always moved it from place to place as one heavy unit. The bags turned out quite nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!