Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Alas....it was not to be

The Cunning Plan to have all the binding sewn down on my Canadian quilt didn't happen in time for show and tell yesterday....but that's all right.  It can be shown at the meeting at the end of January so I don't have to rush.  It is more than half done, anyway.

So now my thoughts have turned to houses.  To be specific, the box of house blocks and sashing strips and setting triangles.  And backing fabric.  And Stuff like that.
Very merry and cheerful and bright, yes?  It's going to be a fun quilt.

Gorgeous fallen leaves in the car park at Butchart Gardens in autumn, taken just because the ruby and garnet colours were so lovely.....a good reason to visit Canada in fall.
The cone is one of the lights found throughout the garden.  We have been lucky enough to visit in summer when the roses and other flowers were in bloom, and also in autumn with foliage colours.  On our last visit the annual display featuring the twelve days of Christmas was being set up, which was fun to see.

What a busy week, I'm glad to draw a line under it!  Two ukulele gigs and a choir concert, all of which went well, plus the usual weekly rehearsals, and hunting and gathering, and socialising.....next week is looking (slightly!) less hectic, thank goodness.  An end-of-year dinner with the choir on Thursday night will be the highlight; I always enjoy a meal I haven't had to think about, prepare, cook and clean up afterward.

Words have been read.  No stitches have been knitted, no diamonds have been cut or sewn.  More had better be cut soon, the waiting-to-be-joined stack is perilously low.  Notes have been plinked and songs sung.  That's about it.

Here in Australia the concept of 'Black Friday sales' has never been big but over the past couple of years its popularity has, as they say in the media, soared to new heights.  Our traditional big sale day is Boxing Day but if one is shopping for Christmas pressies it makes more sense to shop a few weeks earlier, doesn't it?  To that end we betook ourselves out a few days ago and I was able to find some cropped navy pants to replace a pair which are still fine for wearing at home, but less so for wearing out.  That's probably my not-very-major purchase for the year done.

Last of the big time spenders, me.

It has not rained all week!  Today is quite warm and sunny, a foretaste of summer.  A couple of days ago Kevin rolled the outside blinds down to shade the windows on the north side - our sunny side - if the sun doesn't hit the windows so fiercely, the rooms inside stay cooler.  They were a purchase several years ago, and we are so pleased we did it.  It won't be so hot after tomorrow so we will enjoy the cooler weather before summer really hits hard.

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Intrusive Inquiries.
If you meet or join or are visited by a person who has any article whatever, under his arm or in his hand, and he does not offer to show it to you, you should not, even if it be your most intimate friend, take it from him and look at it.  That intrusive curiosity is very inconsistent with the delicacy of a well-bred man, and always offends in some degree."

In other words, don't be nosy.  If your friend wants to show you the article, she/he will do so.  If she/he doesn't wish to do so then, in the immortal words of Kath and Kim, "mind your own beeswax".

Enjoy your days!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you are getting ready for your Hot season while we are getting ready for out Cold season. I must admit, I don't relish winter weather at all - snow and ice make me twitch! I have never partaken of the Black Friday tradition - too many crowds. I'd rather shop all year long, picking up things I know my gift recipients will like and holding them till the holidays. Happy December to you and Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black friday seems to be becoming a thing here too. Like you say, a great time for gift shopping. Have fun with your houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't like there was much time to finish that binding.... I avoided town with the sales on though I heard there was good bargains. Pity there was nothing I needed!
    We had a nice drop of rain last night and early morning - enough to water the lawn..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!