Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Back into the neighbourhood

How is everyone this week?  Our weather is warming up somewhat but not - yet - unbearably so; there were complaints from some locals before Christmas that "we haven't had a summer.....whinge, moan......" but I for one wasn't complaining about our late cool start to the season.  Some rain would be good, though; since the flooding rain stopped it has been quite dry, and our skin and our hair are complaining about that.

On Tuesday the house blocks and their sashing, together with my Singer Featherweight, were packed up and taken to quilt group where sashing was sewn onto several blocks.  The last blocks and sashing are being worked on in the sewing room as we speak, or will be after I finish here.
Being an older Singer it doesn't have a 1/4 in foot, the foot is 1/4 in wide on the left and 1/8 in on the right, but the bed is wide enough - and the blocks still small enough - to sew from the 'other' side.  This pic shows one block under the needle, one waiting its turn on the left, and a few completed blocks at the back.  

It's going to be a very colourful quilt.

Diamonds have been cut and sewn.  The guitar block needs a little modification, which has been partly done.  No stitches have been knitted.  Words have been read.  Music has been played and sung, as we have a gig next Sunday morning.

Now that the Christmas wombats and Flossie their Guardian Angel have been packed up for another year, I thought it was time to change the cloth on my grandmother's 1925 Singer treadle machine where they were sitting.  I have a few embroidered and lace cloths so, as wood can stain them, a plain blue cloth was spread first then a crochet linen cloth on top.  The crochet cloth came to me from my mother and - I think - was made by one of her aunts.

As I stood back and admired it a thought popped into my head out of nowhere (as they often do) that I had read about an Australian woman who, 100 years or so ago, made quite a name for herself as a crochet designer.  Her name was Mary Card, and this may be one of her designs.  
Mard Card was a superstar in her day; she was known around the world for her beautiful designs.  Some were designed for the country where she was living at the time, as she was very good at tapping into people's patriotism.  This page has very good information, too.

I like the fact that after so long Mary Card's name is still known around the world and her designs still admired, to the extent that finished articles can be bought online for hundreds of dollars.  

We also have a larger cloth, a tulip design, which came from Kevin's maternal grandmother who was known in the family for her beautiful crochet work.  It, too, may be a Mary Card design.
These are filet crochet, I've tried filet - it's the crochet equivalent of counted cross stitch.  The wrinkled cloth between the crochet panels is linen; I think the wrinkles are caused by differences in tension between it and the crochet.  Probably wouldn't hurt to kiss it with an iron, either.  One day.....

No doubt a cloth such as this would have been spread for a genteel afternoon tea served in dainty cups, saucers and plates, while a little genteel character assassination may have been indulged in about those absent.....can't you just imagine it?  "Oh Mabel, did you see what Gladys wore to church last Sunday?  And her top button was undone, I'm sure the minister in the pulpit had a good eyeful!"

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Talking with a lady in the street.
In meeting a lady it is optional with her whether she shall pause to speak.  If the gentleman has anything to say to her, he should not stop her, but turn around and walk in her company until he has said what he has to say, when he may leave her with a bow and a lift of the hat."

There is obviously a reason why a gentleman should not detain a lady to talk to her, but it was quite correct to walk with her....however, that reason escapes me.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. Obviously, a lady has mportant business to attend to, like picking up the kids at soccer so a gentleman shouldn't make her late by making her stop to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see the neighbourhood being sewn on your gorgeous machine, and that stunning crochet on your other gorgeous machine.... such fine crochet work. If I keep walking when someone is chatting it's because I don't want to talk - please gentleman don't walk with me.... haha....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Neighbourhood is coming along nicely! Your Mary Card crochet cloths are gorgeous....lucky you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filet crochet was a passion of my when we first married. That is a lot of work and a lot of counting. Lovely to see those pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it will be a bright neighbourhood. Lovely to see the family heirlooms get an airing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!