Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Back to normal programming

Or what passes for normal here.

The music festival has happened, our musical guest has been and gone - and what fun that was, we shared many laughs over many a cuppa while he was here - and our quiet life has resumed once more.

We went to a few concerts which we really enjoyed, and kept out of the way of noisy places.  It has been said "if it's too loud you're too old".....but I beg to differ; back in my younger days when I used to go to concerts and dances amplification equipment was nowhere near as loud as it is nowadays, and my hearing wasn't damaged as a result.  Earphones were a thing of the future too, we didn't spend our time with sound cranked up to an unbearable volume ringing in our ears.  

Some stitching has happened, diamonds have been cut and joined.  No stitches were knitted, although they will be when summer isn't so fiercely warm.  Words have been read.  Notes have been plinked and sung.

The house blocks were laid out and pinned into rows, the sewing of which will commence before too long.  There are eleven diagonal rows labelled by small pieces of leftover fabrics with numbers written on using fabric pen.  They were made when my tumbler quilt was being laid out and were going to be tossed once it was joined, but a little voice in the back of my brain said "hang on......don't do that, those labels can be used again....and again" and sure enough, they are.  Being fabric they will not tear like paper labels would.
On the last post I mentioned Mary Card and her beautiful crochet designs.  This mat, made by Kevin's maternal grandmother, is possibly another of her designs.  It sits on top of my bedside chest, and is made from very very fine thread.
Such exquisite work should be celebrated and enjoyed.  Many years ago when my brothers and I were clearing out my mother's house after her death I took the beautiful lace - tatted and crocheted - and embroidery work, mostly made by my mother's aunts.  My sister-in-law (who has an opinion on everything) said "I don't want any of that old stuff"....which was good, because I was prepared to take it by force if necessary.  But....when I am gone who will get it?  I have no daughters or granddaughters to inherit any of my Stuff.  If it ends up an an op shop it may be bought by someone who loves it, and that's fine by me.  Better that than having an unwanted bequest dumped on you, yes?

It's not very often I have a win, but I had one recently.  Just after Christmas I ordered black cropped pants online because the local store had none.  The money was quickly taken from our account but no pants arrived, and no notification of a post tracking number to let me know my order was on its way.  So....a few weeks later I rang their 'contact us' number and was told, we don't have your goods.  We are looking in our distribution centres.  Ring us again in about seven days.  That was when a little something went 'ping' in my brain and I interrupted her....."no....no.....no" I said....."I will not ring you.  You will contact me.  You have taken my money and have not supplied the goods I ordered.  If you cannot do so, then I want my money back."  I was not rude, but by heck I was firm.

And a couple of days later that money was back in our account!  But I still have no black pants.....

Contrast that with an order placed on Monday evening for a few sets of ukulele strings from an interstate dealer, which were in my hands by lunchtime on Friday.  I love the email I received from them - "Congratulations on your order Jennifer, you Ukulele Rockstar you!"  How could you not shop from someone with such a fun attitude and such excellent service?  There is a music store here but they have proven to be unhelpful and unreliable (and they don't call me a ukulele rockstar), so I shop elsewhere.  

Summer's heat has arrived, and with it some quite fearsome storms with lights and music echoing from the clouds and rolling around the hills.  There have been some spectacular pics on social media of the lightning a couple of nights ago.....a shame that thunder can't be photographed too!

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Lady and gentleman walking together.
A gentleman walking with a lady should treat her with the most scrupulous politeness, and may take either side of the walk.  It is customary for the gentleman to have the lady on his right hand side, and he offers her his right arm, when walking arm in arm.  If, however, the street is crowded, the gentleman must keep the lady on that side of him where she will be the least exposed to crowding."

Yes indeed.  A lady does not like to be crowded.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. Your lace piece is lovely. Enjoy it, both for its beauty and for its provenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty lace and I do like the idea of your fabric tags. looking forward to seeing your village take shape. I'm glad you got your money back - mostly online has been good for us but there has been the odd dodgey one where the goods have not been what was promised. Annoying...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your quilting project... I wish you a lot of fun.
    Kevin's grandmother's crochet blanket is a little masterpiece. It's great that it's in good hands.
    I wish you a happy week.
    Hug of Viola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the festival. Your lace is beautiful....such exquisite work. Having spent a great deal of my time waiting over the last 2 years for people to "get back to me" I no longer have the patience for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to get notified by my blogreader when a blog I followed had a new posting...evidently, the program is no longer working and I am left to find out on my own....that being said, I will now stalk this and a couple of other blogs on a regular basis to make sure I don't miss any more postings! I've been buying my clothing online for a very long time cause we live so far out in the country that going into a town to shop for clothes borders on a passport-required trip! I'm so glad you stood your ground - sorry you didn't get your black cropped pants, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!