Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Nothing much to show for the week

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you seem to be busy, but then have nothing to show for the busy-ness?  That was me, this week.....running hither and yon, lucky to fit in the odd stitch or two.  Some tail-chasing may also have come into it.

Never mind.  Onward and upward!

The heat is upon us, as is storm season.  Last night storms passed us by, probably fortunate considering there was lightning involved and everything is very dry right now.  Fires are started by lightning strikes, so we don't want them.....but a drop (or two, or three) of rain would be useful.

Our plans for celebrating Kevin's birthday changed a little.  The idea of heading up the ranges to cooler climes was attractive - but the thought of coming down again in a storm (it's a fairly steep road) did not excite us, so we had lunch at a pub in a small village just out of town.  We then went to the local French bakery for coffee and cake to finish - yummo!

So.....we will admire more of the beautiful work by the two Lauras.  This filet crochet piece was made by Kevin's grandmother Laura.  The lace design is lovely to see on a wood table, isn't it?  The flowers look like watarahs, the floral emblem of our state, making me think it could be by Mary Card, as some of her designs featured Aussie flowers.
A couple of small tatting doilies made by my Great-Aunt Laura.  I have always liked this one with its lace centre.
Another with a linen centre, a little larger.
I like the contrast in texture of the linen and lace.  The colour of these two is probably what was called 'ecru' which used to mean the colour of unbleached linen, a light tan, but it seems that its meaning has changed over time and now the word refers to a different shade.  

As well as Auntie Laura's tatting, threads, shuttle and crochet hooks I have one of her books of tatting designs written by Aussie designer Norma Benporath who had many tatting designs in several publications, despite having only 60% sight in one eye, and who lived from 1900-1998.  Despite have a lot of designs to her name and being well known in the tatting community there doesn't seem to be a lot written about her, just little snippets here and there.

Of late I have been wondering what will happen to this lovely work when I am gone.  I have no female descendents and doubt very much that either of my sons will want it.  Perhaps it's time to start looking at museums to see if any of them would be interested - one museum in the Big Smoke has quite a collection of lace; I was there one day when I just happened upon the lace rooms and was was fortunate to be shown drawers and drawers of beautiful lace, some of it several centuries old.

Stitches have been sewn, diamonds have been cut but more need to be done.  Words have been read.  Notes have been plinked and sung, and some of the Many Piles Of Music have been sorted; those piles have been threatening to take over the universe and I couldn't find the particular songs I wanted, so putting them in order is a good thing.  Blocks have been made for the quilt group, so my halo is shining.....but eventually I will be able to get back to my own Stuff when those blocks are finally finished, and it will shine even brighter.  

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Opening the door for a lady.
A gentleman should always hold open the door for a lady to enter first.  This is obligatory, not only in the case of the lady who accompanies him, but also in that of any strange lady who chances to be about to enter at the same time."

Having a door held is helpful if one is carrying something.  I myself have held the door for others, whether they are burdened with parcels (or even a small child in arms) or not.

Enjoy your days!

3 comments:

  1. It does seem that we are busy busy busy all the time.... I wonder why..... Love the crochet pieces and yes, I think we all wonder a bit about what will happen to our 'stuff' when we go.... as long as we enjoy it whilst we are here... not many men open doors to let the lady in first, but then I have heard women who are insulted by the action since we can do it ourselves....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. More beautiful doilies. My Mom and Aunt had a lot of doilies that Mom made and I then took them and sewed them together to make a table runner for my niece. She loved it and displays it for company dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes missing out on electrical storms in dry periods is a blessing. Your crochet and tatted heirlooms are just beautiful! Too beautiful to end up in an op shop....museums sounds a good idea.
    Opening or holding the door for someone is such a simple but kind gesture xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!