Pages

Monday, March 20, 2023

Forty seven years and counting......

Yesterday was the 47th anniversary of the day we stood up in front of family and friends, and said nice words to each other.  47 years!  My gawd, that's a long time!

To mark the occasion we harnessed up the trusty steed and drove up the hill to a town an hour north, because their annual quilt show was being held.  I entertained myself at the show for a while, and Kevin strolled around enjoying the architecture and streets of Armidale.  Once again I met up with my Armidale namesake - another Jennifer Richards, how cool is that?  Her quilts on show were lovely, and her hand quilting beautiful.  I have been to that show before; it's not a large one as the hall isn't big, the group isn't huge, and because they have an annual exhibition there is usually only one year's worth of quilts to be shown.  I was impressed by the standard, however, especially the quilts of this young feller.....he is very talented and has great colour sense, while his quilting is superb.

It was International Quilting Day on Saturday, so a show on that weekend is very appropriate!  Here's a few of my quilts, even though they weren't done at the weekend.

Every quilter, it is said, has a blue and yellow quilt.  This is one of mine.
This was made from the leftover star triangles of the quilt above - same blue and yellow fabrics, different borders.
Love this one, just a study in black and white.  It was started in a class back in the Big Smoke and finished here.
Autumn - my favourite season!  Started in another class with the same tutor, after moving here here to the Small Smoke.
A soft pretty quilt made for a friend undergoing some health issues.
If I was asked which of all my quilts is my favourite - and of course there more than these shown - this one would be very close to the top of the list.  I love its exuberance, how could you not?
Words have been read this week, stitches have been knitted.  No diamonds have been joined - indeed, more need to be cut so as to have enough to take away for a few weeks in the caravan; it is only two weeks now until we leave so I had better get cracking with the cutting.  More music has been sorted, in fact I can almost - almost! - see the bottom of those piles.  Songs have been plinked and sung.

It's going to be a busy couple of weeks with shopping, a musical gig, and various appointments for both of us.  Once we are in the car heading off down the road, I suspect there will be a big collective sigh of relief.  We are going down south to catch up with the family, and for me to attend the big folk festival.  Kevin will probably spend time with our son while I am off making music, they can do Boy Stuff together and perhaps The One And Only Grandkid will join them for some of it.  There has been a marriage split so the aforementioned Grandkid now lives with his mother, although of course he spends time with his father.

We will just keep out of the way as much as we can, and smile sweetly while offering no opinion on anything or anybody.

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Carrying packages.
A gentleman will never permit a lady with whom he is walking to carry a package of any kind, but will insist on relieving her of it.  He may even accost a lady when he sees her overburdened and offer his assistance, if their ways lie in the same direction."

Not sure about the use of the word "accost"?  These days it has cme to mean "to approach someone boldly or aggressively", something I hope a proper gentleman would not do to a lady of his acquaintance.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you both. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilts. I checked and I don't have a yellow and blue quilt....strange as I love that colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You have a nice collection of blue/yellow quilts! I would make that last quilt again and do what you did by adding another colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have a yellow and blue quilt. While I have admired many, and yours is lovely, I just don't feel the urge to make one. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy anniversary!!!

    lovely quilts, Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. Lovely quilts, nice to see them. My hubby always carries the packages, he is such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and sounds like a good way to enjoy it..... love your quilts. have a good trip - it can get complicated when there has been a split - hope your sons is reasonably amicable....
    Dont mind that kind of accosting but it is totally different now....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes on your 47th... and prosperity to you both. Here with us they say "triple cheers to you".
    Great quilts you show, wonderful works, a pleasure to see.
    ps I love the label quotes :-)) Hug

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!