Those many piles of music are gradually being sorted.....goodness, I had no idea there was quite that much....but it will be good to have it done, and to have it all in alphabetical order. It has gotten to the stage where I couldn't find songs I knew I had so I would make another copy, and that is wasteful.
As a resuly not one stitch has been sewn, not one stitch knitted, although that will change once the music is sorted. Words have been read, songs have been sung and plinked.
Consequently there are no pics of anything in progress, so we will visit the vault instead and enjoy a taste of autumn to come.
The pic doesn't quite do this tree justice - its colouring was spectacular and caught my eye when we parked behind the shops in Midland.
The building behind the tree was a child care centre. I would have also photographed the carpet of fallen leaves under the tree but a person with a camera approaching a child care centre might seem suspicious, yes?After several visits we have decided that Vancouver Island should be called 'The Land of Tall Straight Trees'.
Taken on a cool damp day.....the ground under the trees probably doesn't see much sun, so perhaps it never really dries out.
A fallen tree with its coat of - moss? lichen? - not sure, but it was pretty.
Taken on a cool damp day.....the ground under the trees probably doesn't see much sun, so perhaps it never really dries out.
A fallen tree with its coat of - moss? lichen? - not sure, but it was pretty.
Speaking of knitting, the Big Decision has been made as to the cable pattern on my in-progress jumper. There will be two repeats of a twirled and twisted cable running up the centre front, and on each side will another narrow rope cable; enough to make it interesting to knit, but not so complicated or difficult that it will never get finished. So....one will sit down with pencil and paper and write out the pattern sequence, then one will type it in large font so it can be easily read in a moving car.
Later this afternoon we will be taking a trip to the other side of town, across the river - it never ceases to amuse us that locals here, no matter where they live, seem to have an aversion to crossing the river, as though they are going to the deep dark depths of a different country - and collect my wall hanging which I entered in the show. I could have gone yesterday to see it hanging but it was a bit too warm to venture out, and in any case I very much doubt that it will get an award....but that's all right. As I have been saying for many years, blessed is she who expecteth nothing, for she shall never be disappointed.
Summer is hanging on by the fingernails, reluctant to let go, but this is usual for March. We have noticed, however, that many trees are starting to change colour so perhaps they know something we don't. Our trip down south next month will be a taste of autumn - something to look forward to, indeed. The autumn equinox is in just a couple of weeks, and another year is rolling on.

My recent visit to the optometrist for the annual eye check-up had a good result, and my reading glasses don't need to be changed for now. There is a cataract slowly growing on my left eye, it seems, and eventually it will be need to be fixed - but not yet, indeed probably not for quite a while. Oh, the joys of getting older.....
Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Smoking upon the streets.
In England a well-bred man never smokes upon the streets. While this rule does not hold good for this country, yet no gentleman will ever insult a lady by smoking on the streets in her company, and in meeting and saluting a lady he will always remove a cigar from his mouth."
I am not sure which country is meant by "this country", as my book was first published in - I think - North America, but my 1886 edition is "Revised, Illustrated and Compiled expressly as a Household Treasure for Australian Homes". Either way we prefer that no man, well-bred or otherwise, smokes on the streets, and indeed very few do so nowadays.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer




for some reason, i read "sniffing and snoring" instead of sitting and sorting ... sometimes i wonder if what i THINK i've read or heard is even close to Reality
ReplyDeletethis part of the World is either multiple shades of brown or glistening white that is just waiting to slide my feet out from under me when i try to shovel it out of the way ...... plink and sort and sift on!!!
big job to sort all that music it seems but will be well worth it.... I am so ready for Autumn and cooler nights...
ReplyDeleteHugz
...we are making great strides towards spring, but I had fresh snow this morning.
ReplyDeleteGreat music is always great... good luck.
hug
It will be nice to put your hands on what you're looking for when its all done. I love your photo of those magnificent tall trees reaching to the sky. Good you don't need new glasses this time around. I am way overdue....it's on the list xx
ReplyDelete