Many years ago - many many years - a Scottish woman where I worked referred to pulling knitting undone as "rattling it down". "I had to rattle it down to fix the mistake", she would say. Well, I have been rattling my knitting down.....the cable on the front of my jumper was proceeding nicely when I noticed a mistake several rows back, so off I went a-rattling. It has now been rectified and can proceed, but that will teach me to be careful about keeping track of where I'm up to; over the years I have knitted far more complicated cables than this one, and they always work out in the end.
That jumper may be needed this winter! The weather has turned freezy frosty chilly with frosty morning and (mostly) sunny days, although today is grey with a nasty wind blowing. Inside is definitely the best place to be.
A few days ago Kevin took the secateurs to the bottle brush just outside the garage. It's been getting ideas above its station and taking over its small part of the universe, so he cut back some of the foliage that was starting to encroach on the garage door. Don't throw it away, I said, we'll enjoy it inside - and we are. It's from Western Australia, and is called 'Kings Park Special'.
The day we came home from Tooraweenah we looked back at The Warrumbungles, and although it was a misty view that morning it's still an amazing vista.Another rock from our Canberra trip. This is from Victoria, from the Central Goldfields, an area which has seen a lot of gold mining. Members of my family lived there back in the 1860s.
The note on this plaque pointing out "This specimen contains no gold" is in response to a robbery several years ago, when the original top rock was stolen.
It's not something you can hoist up with one hand! It would have taken some heavy machinery to lift and remove it, and more than one person too.....a pity such enterprising people couldn't have put their 'talents' to better use, isn't it.
Words have been read, notes have been plinked and sung, practicing for next Sunday morning's market gig, A little hand piecing has happened, but no machine piecing; the day is not yet over, far from it, but I don't hold out any great hopes. Never mind. Stitches have been knitted, both before and after the aforementioned rattling down, and the chosen cable design will suit very well.
My baby wombat picture is now in a framing shop. A frame has been chosen, and two different mat boards will compliment both the picture and the frame, and my little baby should be home again at the end of next month. Some of the components had to be ordered as they weren't in stock; I suppose framing shops can't keep huge quantities of every colour board and wooden frame, but I eagerly await my baby's return home.
The funeral for our choir member went off as well as these things do. We do have some other older members, although Wally had been our oldest - but Bonnie is 93, so one day we may be called upon for a repeat performance.
A couple of much-appreciated comments have been left on my blog recently, but for some reason they haven't arrived in my inbox so haven't been replied to - if you think I'm ignoring you, I'm not! Thank you for visiting, and I hope you will come again.
Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Walking with a lady acquaintance.
A gentleman should not join a lady acquaintance on the street for the purpose of walking with her, unless he ascertains that his company would be perfectly agreeable to her. It might be otherwise, and she should frankly say so, if asked."

Hi Jennifer I hadn’t heard of that saying before,hope you didn’t have to rattle to much with your knitting. Lovely pics I am originally from Ballarat ,my family are still there ,hope you have a lovely day 🌹🤍🌹
ReplyDeleteOh well rattled - haven't heard that term before. It's beyond me that someone would go and steal a big rock - can you imagine their dissapointment when they broke it down and just got some gravel!
ReplyDeleteHugz
Lovely to have your garden trimmings indoors. Good thing you spotted the mistake and that you could correct it.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you discovered the mistake... I made a mistake when knitting the cable and unpicked a lot... and today I love wearing the sweater, it's the warmest sweater I have.
ReplyDeleteA hug to you from Viola