Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Counting down to the finish

It has turned freezy frosty chilly, something to be expected now that we are racing through June, making it good weather for inside pursuits such as sewing.  We even had some welcome rain, with more forecast.

This week's finished blocks.
Long blocks behind, small in front.  I hesitated about using the frog fabric as it's not an I-spy quilt, but it's such a fun print (and it's green!) that it had to be included.  I wasn't sure, either, about the print second from left on the top, a green design on a blue background with the blue leaning more toward purple.  Various fabrics were tried with it but in the end the decision was made to go with a sharp acid green, and I think they hold hands nicely.

If my counting is correct there are only two large and four small blocks still to be made, then they can all be laid out and Big Decisions made as to placement.

My house quilt has come back out from its box into daylight once more.  Earlier in the week was quilt group meeting day so I took along my 1950 Singer Featherweight, and tried out its new 1/4 in foot.  I am not used to a foot with an edge guide but it went well, and now all the blocks are joined into diagonal strips.  Next is to join the sashings (strips are already cut) and trim them to the lengths required; as it's set on point the two middle rows are really long.  It's going to be quite a large quilt!  For the label I am thinking of making a house block in very pale colours and embroidering the quilt's name 'There Goes The Neighbourhood' on it.  

Stitches have been knitted - the front of my jumper is now up to the decrease for the armhole, yay!  Words have been read, notes have been plinked and sung.  No diamonds have been joined, but some will be during my time at the gallery on Tuesday afternoon.  On Thursday a couple of friends called in on their way further north, we had a cuppa and some fruit slice together, then waved them off on their journey.

Over the past few years I have been noticing that more and more foods have chili in them.  Now, I have nothing against chili so long as I'm not forced to eat it; when I buy smoked salmon dip I expect it to taste of smoked salmon, not of chili.....although chili doesn't really add flavour, does it?  Just heat, which is not always needed.  In fact chili has to be up there on the list of my least favourite foods, close behind tomato - which is right at the top.  One of my earliest memories is of my mother holding me down with one hand and trying to force-feed me tomato with the other.  I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.  Don't like the taste, definitely don't like the texture.

I much prefer chocolate.....

This week will be marked by a sad farewell to a good friend, one who enjoyed sharing a cuppa and a piece of fruit slice with us.  I hope the fruit slice is waiting for him, wherever he is.

Continuing on with Shopping Etiquette:
"You should never take hold of a piece of goods or an article which another person is examining.  Wait until it is replaced upon the counter, when you are at liberty to examine it."

That is excellent advice.  If the other person buys the article and you miss out, then it wasn't meant to be yours.  If, on the other hand, you succeed in purchasing it - it was definitely for you.

Enjoy your days!

3 comments:

  1. Love your blocks.... nearly there. Looking forward to seeing The Neighbourhood and jumper... One of my grandies feels the same as you about tomato.... I do enjoy chilli but it doesn't need to be in everything... I think I have even seen it in chocolate!!! That time of life when we start saying farewells to friends....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my son was still living at home, he had a dark chocolate bar on his desk, and I snitched a piece. As I put it into my mouth, he told me I was going to regret it. It had hot chili flakes in it. I agree that you should be able to taste the flavours in food, not just the chili. However, I do enjoy vine ripened tomatoes. They have such a short season here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh .... did I know about the tomato dislike when you were here? Hope I didn't make something that included tomato in the meal ..... It has been cool here too with blessed rain! We really needed that. Those blocks are sure looking good. What will your layout be?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!