Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2023

A week gone, and nothing much to show for it

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you are busy, sometimes chasing-your-tail-busy, and at the end of the week there isn't much to show for it?  That was my week.

Last night's choir concert/party was fun, my song was well received, and now there is no singing for a couple of weeks.  The room we use is being renovated - something which was to have been finished several weeks ago, but which had not yet been started when we were in it on Thursday night - and our leader is having eye surgery.  We will miss our choral evenings.

This is my sparkly brooch, worn last night pinned to a lime green silk scarf.  A gen-u-ine 1960s design which is now quite sought-after, if online listings are anything to go by.  I don't know if this is the original box - there is no brand or other information, not even the name of the jeweller who sold it.
This morning my wool order arrived.....is it not bewdiful?  A mix of green, blue and a little purple.  Perhaps it will become a jumper.....
.....or perhaps a cardigan......yet to be decided.  Those big balls are 200 grams each, so not many ends have to be darned in to finish.

The jumper currently on the needles is having its neckband knitted; holding an almost-completed jumper on one's lap is quite warm, and evenings this week haven 't been too freezy.  (Mornings have been freezy frosty chilly, but then I don't knit first thing in the morning.)    Diamonds have been cut. Those yellow sashings which were cut too long have been shortened, and are now - fingers and toes crossed - the correct lengths.  Words have been read.  

The coming week looks like being even busier, too.  Activities which are suspended during school holidays will resume....there is a legal appointment to amend our wills now that there has been a marriage break-up in the family (not ours, I hasten to add)......monthly sewing guild.....quilt group next Saturday......volunteering......if I'm really lucky I may have a chance to turn around and scratch myself, as the old saying goes.  The plan (the hope!) had been to make a start on sewing those blue and green blocks, but alas - it was not to be.  

Never mind, it will happen in due course.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't find it easy to use a machine in the evenings when my eyes are tired; it's too easy to make mistakes, as I have learned in the past.  Evenings are for hand work, whether sewing or knitting.

We took advantage of a slight lull earlier today to fit in some hunting and gathering while we could.  As we were leaving the car park we were surprised to see, parked well away from other cars - a Rolls Royce!  Not something one usually sees in the supermarket car park in a country town, for sure; the usual selection of (slightly boring) cars doesn't usually include Rollers.  There was someone sitting in the driver's seat, and we couldn't decide if it was the owner or perhaps a chauffeur.  If it was a chauffeur that would mean the owner was inside hunting and gathering with the hoi polloi - and surely that would never do, would it?

Continuing on with Etiquette of the Street:
"Ladies should not monopolize the time and attention of salesmen in small talk, while other customers are in the shop to be waited upon."

These quotes show that sales staff were male, as the word 'salesman' or 'salesmen' is used.  I would have thought that some shops were using female staff even back in the 1880s - surely goods being marketed to women - women's and children's clothing, fabrics, household furnishings, etc. - might have been sold by female staff?

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. thats a very pretty brooch and very pretty wool to play with. You have reminded me we need to do something about our wills too! I do get annoyed when someone is chat chat chatting whilst I am waiting to be served.... there is one particular person who does this at our little mobile library. I always try to get there before Mrs TAlkTalk......
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the female sales staff were better behaved , and stuck to their tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pin colours are so you! Glad to hear your evening went well. Gorgeous wool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your singing piece. I love your pretty brooch. Your new wool is such a gorgeous colour. Good luck with your hectic week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your words about doing lots with nothing to show for it. I love your wool colours and yes you would think they had female staff! even still I think the same rules apply today even if you don't find anyone to help you at all?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I congratulate you on the wonderful singing.
    And your brooch is beautiful... a beautiful piece of jewellery :-) YES.
    The color of your new yarn is gorgeous... it's so nice to get a new project started. Have fun.
    Happy greetings to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to seeing what you knit with the wool.....pretty colours.............

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!