Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

In which we have an unwelcome visitor

Another busy week in which not much was achieved beyond the necessary hunting and gathering.  Unfortunately a visitor, the Dreaded Lurgy, popped in for a few days and left me feeling tired and fragile.  Things are now on the mend, however, and soon I will be back to jumping out of my skin.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Dreaded Lurgy, it was used in 'The Goon Show', a radio program that many of my generation grew up with.  The Dreaded Lurgy is an illness with vague symptoms that leaves one with a general feeling of lassitude, but probably nothing that can be medically defined; it's not the flu, or even a cold, it's just......The Dreaded Lurgy.  "I have a lurgy", we say, and people know what we mean.

Consequently not much has been achieved, although some diamonds were joined.  A little knitting was done - that neckband might be finished soon - many words were read.  Some notes were plinked and sung.

A couple of pics were taken to aid in sewing the blue and green quilt together, something which will be started this week.  It is laid out on the spare bed and, as I am happy with the placement of the blocks, I have taken a couple of pics to make sure they are joined correctly.  First, the right hand side....
....then the left.  These will be the first two rows.
More pics will be taken as the next pieces are made.  Not all the blocks came from my sewing room; it was a BOM for members of my Tuesday quilt group, so some fabrics are not mine.  However as the Tuesday group is quite small, not many blocks came back - indeed, we have made the decision to do away with the Tuesday BOM due to small numbers, although there are still one or two optimists who hand out instructions and get a few blocks back which they use for charity quilts.  The Saturday group is much larger.

We have had some quite freezy frosty chilly weather this week, certainly enough to remind us that we are still in the coldest month of the year.  Many places hereabouts have had record-breaking morning temperatures recently, the coldest for many years or even since records have been kept, so it's not just us complaining about the chill.  Never mind; it will be back to summer's dreaded heat before we know it, won't it.

On Tuesday afternoon I was at the volunteer desk at the Gallery when a couple came in to browse the exhibitions.  The bloke was, I thought, suitably dressed for the weather, but I'm not sure about the woman's choice of attire; she was wearing long pants (good idea), a puffy jacket (personally I don't like them, but they are currently popular), gloves (so, obviously feeling the cold), shoes that you and I would wear to walk around the block (better than bare tootsies in this weather), and - bare ankles.  No socks.  I screamed to myself as I tucked my sock-clad feet under my desk.....I mentioned it at sewing group the next day and the consensus of opinion was, ankles get cold too.  

When we were in Canberra in April, however, I noticed that many of the Trendy Younger Folk did not wear socks.  Long pants - usually tight leggings, which I don't consider pants - and shoes with laces, and bare ankles.  Canberra is even colder than here in winter, I wonder if they have discovered their sock drawer yet?

Speaking of tight leggings.....when I become Queen Of The World, leggings will be banned outside the walls of a gym.  It can't be healthy wearing tight synthetic fabrics over one's nether regions all day every day, surely?  Actually, when you look it up (as I just did) - it's not.  

Concluding Etiquette of the Street:
"Whispering in a shop is rude.  Loud and showy behaviour is exceedingly vulgar."

It is.  When I was a child we were taught that whispering was not done.

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. "them are leggins - not pants!!!" is one of my favorite quotes (exclaimed by a Southern mom in a school drop off lane) - but my daughters swear by them (kinda like how i swear by my jeans and my pajama pants) ... when worn with butt-covering tunics or long shirts they are okay, i guess ... maybe

    naked feet are ... naked ...... brrr and ew

    and now i feel accomplished for having solved the World's most pressing social problems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those of us who live in frosty climates wear our cotton leggings under our skirts along with knee high boots, from October until the end of April or so. In very cold weather we wear them under our slacks as extra insulation. We also wear merino tights. Luckily mine are packed away for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks are a must in my wardrobe... I do hate cold feet. HOpe you are properly over your lurgy now.... it's a nuisance feeling low when there is fun to be had...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you have been under the weather and as I am very late commenting I hope you are on the mend. Love my socks even here in the subtropics for winter. Blue and green blocks are looking good xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!