Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Back on line

But - oh dear! how to upload photos is still a mystery.  Perhaps it will become clearer eventually.

Everything else seems to working just fine though, so we are once more connected to the world......even if that pic I took earlier and tried to upload has disappeared somewhere into cyberspace.  We have been connected to the world via our computer since 1997 - and our world has certainly changed since then.

There are a couple of people in our U3A ukulele group who don't have a computer and whose eyes glaze over with fear at the very thought of using one.  One of the women uses her age as an excuse (oh I'm 80, I'm too old) but she hasn't always been 80 in the time that computers have been around, has she?  Some of the most enthusiastic users are seniors who see the possibilities for keeping in touch with distant family and friends, and indeed with the world in general.  Since moving here to the Small Smoke in 2010 we have noticed more and more folk getting online, despite their scepticism at first; Kevin was told "don't send me an email, I never use it" by more than one person who did have an email address - but didn't bother using it.

Ah ha - one more try, and success!  We have a photo!

Next Sunday a Spring Fair is being held at a local house museum, Calala Cottage.  I will be taking one of my 1920s Singer 66 treadle machines along to demonstrate how it works; I have done that a couple of times in the past, and it always generates interest.  Many people can remember such a machine being in their family...."oh, Dad's mother had one but no one ever used it" or "I remember Mum's auntie had one but it was thrown out after she died" etc., but not many people these days have seen one in action.  As before I will be taking along some bags already prepared and pressed, so only straight stitching with no seam finishing (all raw edges will be covered) is required.  

The print fabrics will be the outer layer and handle trim, the solid fabrics will be lining and handles.  Taking three bags is a bit ambitious considering that the ukulele group is also performing so when I'm not treadling I will be plinking, and vice versa.....with, of course, breaks for coffee and lunch, but just the same some stitching will get done.

Recently we have had some proper spring weather and had even let the fire go out, but our old friend winter has returned just to remind us that, after all, it's not the middle of September yet.  Last night's fire was very cheery and warming, and tonight's will be too.  

Words have been read.  No diamonds have been cut or sewn, but once the jumper is completed that will change; it's nearly all sewn up now.  Notes have been plinked and sung.  Bags have been prepped.  The usual hunting and gathering was done, and I even found time for a visit to the hairdresser for a trim.  Since having had eye surgery three years ago a hat is a necessity outdoors, something easier with shorter hair, so my longer locks were sacrificed for hair above my shoulders.....but I still haven't gone for the very short Olde Ladye Choppe.

Our lovely wattle bush is nearly finished flowering for the year, just a few little golden yellow balls of fluff are left, and it is missed already.  It was very beautiful this year.

Concluding our Etiquette for Public Conveyances:
"Gentlemen should not cross their legs, nor stretch their feet out into the passage-way of a public conveyance."

No, gentlemen.  Don't   We don't wish to trip over your feet.  Keep to your own space, and we will keep to ours.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Some people do seem to have a strong aversion to computers... all this scare mongering. My mum in law is 94 and keeps in contact with people on her computer so I have to keep up with her!! Have fun sewing along with your treadle... one day I will add mine to a display though I think it needs a bit of TLC first....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!