Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2024

I can see clearly now!

That would make a good song title, wouldn't it?  Oh, wait......hmmmm.....

My new glasses were collected a few days ago, and now all is clear.  Deep teal and sort-of-bronze, with more of those details on the arms.  They are quite pretty, with a slight Art Deco styling.
Much to the interest of the staff I took along a needle, thread and fabric to try the new glasses before bringing them home, and yes - they worked!

With my spiffy new specs, I should be able to read a menu correctly too.

A couple of weeks ago we met up with a friend for lunch at a pub not far from here - when you live in a country town, an hour is considered "not far" - and when perusing the menu I thought is said "bananas and mash".  Well, no....it was "bangas and mash".  For the non-Ozzies "bangers" (the usual spelling) are sausages (definitely not hot dogs) grilled or broiled, and mash is of course mashed potato.  It is usually served with copious amounts of gravy, and sometimes "dead horse" - tomato sauce.  Not ketchup.  We don't do ketchup.  

The week hasn't entirely slipped by, some sewing has happened, and the quilting on my musical hanging is done.  Now the edges need to be stitched and trimmed, then it can be bound with the dark yellow fabric shown; it picks up the yellow in a couple of the music notes, and will add a bright touch to the edge.
Nothing fancy about the quilting, just some lines echoing the design.  Perhaps they are sound waves.  It's supposed to be a guitar - tenor guitars (and ukuleles!) have four strings, so we will say it's a tenor with slightly crooked strings.  Once it is bound and hanging on the wall it will look like a true work of genius.  I hope.

Diamonds have been sewn, and more cut.  Words have been read.  Notes have been plinked and sung in readiness for an annual gig next Sunday morning at silly early o'clock, for a gospel breakfast at a small church just out of town; the folk who run the church are all nice people, and they like our songs.  The usual foray for hunting and gathering has taken place, and that's it for another week.

Our next caravan trip away will be in March, so thoughts need to be thought about a knitting project to take along.  It's over 700 kms from here to Canberra by the most direct route - which we don't always take anyway - so that is a lot of knitting time.  There is some bewdiful new yarn waiting in my stash for inspiration to strike......cardy or jumper, jumper or cardy......

Recently while eating our way through (chocolate chip!) shortbread, part of a Christmas gift, I wondered why shortbread seems to be associated with New Year, so looked it up......and yes, it is, particularly in Scotland.  Shortbread was once considered quite a delicacy, and Hogmanay - New Year - used to be an important celebration in Scotland; indeed, it still is in many places.  Of course a celebratory occasion calls for celebratory food, and so the association between New Year and shortbread was started.

Last night we watched two parts of a documentary on railways of the world.  The first part was set in Scotland, but we weren't provided with subtitles or an interpreter.....those Highland Scottish accents were very thick and broad......just because we speak the same language (sort of, more or less) doesn't mean to say we can understand each other.  The scenery was pretty, so we just watched it roll by and picked up the occasional word as best we could.  Part two was in California, we had no trouble with that!

Once again the rain has passed us by, but we have hopes - which may be doomed to disappointment, but we can always hope - for the coming week.  We might be doing that rain dance yet.

Continuing with Etiquette of Public Places, Conduct in Church:
"Do not turn around in your seat to gaze at anyone, to watch the choir, to look over the congregation or to see the cause of any disturbing noise."

No, not at all.  Eyes front, and all that.  Not even if something untoward occurs.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

 

6 comments:

  1. How can butter, sugar and flour be anything but a delicacy. It takes a careful hand to keep it short. I have wondered how people in places that aren't cold at Christmas manage to make it.
    Snazzy new glasses, with a bonus that you can see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the church Etiquette. It makes me smile.
    So good that you've got your glasses and will be home for a spell. I like the idea of you bringing some hand work into the eye place to check them out for what you need them for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I’ve never heard of ‘dead horse’ being called tomato sauce. Learn something new everyday, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new glasses are great.
    The quilting is wonderful and I'm fascinated by the notes including the tenor guitar.
    ...eyes forward... Thanks Jeniffer, nice post.
    Kind regards from Viola
    And I'm excited to see which knitting project you'll choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for new glasses! It is interesting how we learn new expressions from around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your new specs and glad they will work for your stitching. Have fun choosing your knitting project. I have some lovely wool waiting in the wings,k but can't decide on a pattern. You'll have to call in when you head to Canberra. I look forward to seeing your musical hanging finished. Enjoy your gospel breakfast performance.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!