Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Ta da!

Or should that be - Tra la!  

Finished is a good feeling.
Now to decide where to hang it....I have a spot in mind.  The edges are straight but it is lying on a bed, hence the wavy look.

Now to decide which of the many projects in the sewing room will be picked up next.  There are a couple of tees needing sleeve hems re-stitched, which will be an easy job.  On Friday I finally collected my blue and green quilt from the quilter who has had it for a few months - just as well I haven't been in a hurry, isn't it? - so now it can be bound.  Quilting is not her only job (she also works in retail) but this one wasn't urgent, so I wasn't hassling her for it.

How have you all been this week?  We have been enjoying slightly milder temperatures, but the forecast for the coming week is more heat.  There are those - not me, I hasten to add - who believe that by some miracle the new season suddenly arrives on the first of the month.  This is not so.  The forecast for 1st March, next Friday, is hot-hot-hot.  Definitely not autumn-y.  I am so over this summer heat.

When I was at school (many many years ago) we were taught that the winter and summer solstice, and spring and autumn equinox, marked the turning of the seasons about three weeks later than the arbitrary "first of the month" change.....which makes more sense.  This year the autumn equinox will be on 20th March, the date we set off from home for our annual trip south, so we can truly say it is 'an autumn trip'!

A few diamonds have been sewn, but none cut; many diamonds need to be cut for the trip away as it is an ideal portable project, so it looks like the cutter will be busy for a while.  Some stitches have been knitted.  Words have been read.  Notes have been plinked and sung.  Hunting and gathering has ensured that we won't starve.  My knee complains from time to time, but I am trying to be nice to it; so far it hasn't fallen off, and I keep doing the physio-recommended exercises.

The annual Show - much like a spring or autumn fair in other parts of the world - will be held again next weekend, and I have decided to enter my Canadian quilt in the wall hanging category.  Last year I won a blue ribbon (!) but I doubt that such luck would come my way two years in a row.  Still, it will be good to see it hanging in public.

My goodness, the awards season still drags on....oh, those fashions......many look as though they are held up with a prayer or two and some sticky tape, and they look quite uncomfortable and unflattering.  Definitely a lot of boobage on display, isn't there?  At least some of the blokes are getting a little more daring in their clothing choices, although the no-socks look with formal wear is a bit....ew.  Please don't, fellers......

Concluding Etiquette of Public Places, Conduct in Church:
"In visiting a church for the mere purpose of seeing the edifice, one should always go at a time when there are no services being held.  If people are even then found at their devotions, as is apt to be the case in Roman Catholic Churches especially, the demeanor of the visitor should be respectful and subdued and his voice low, so that he may not disturb them."

No doubt there are those who forget that a church is indeed a place of devotion and worship, rather than an empty building for their entertainment.  I'm sure none of us would do that, would we?

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. Lovely finish on your wall hanging. Eldest Granddaughter is in a little ukele group at school
    I am with you. I will be glad to see the Summer humidity ease.
    Good luck with your entry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, you will find a nice place - I'm sure :-))
    We have sunshine today after all the gray weather of late... it's wonderful. I'm happy... and yesterday I was in the ice rink and watched the international synchronized ice skating competition. I was so happy.
    A happy Sunday hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy having your green quilt home again. The binding will make a fine winter project. The music quilt looks great. I'm sure that the Canadian quilt will wow the judges at the Show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet finish. Yes, finished does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your music hanging turned out lovely! On to the next ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt... the patched ends of the musical notes is a great touch.... Yes, I am also over this everending unrelenting heat.... I want to snuggle in a quilt when I go to bed.Visiting cathedrals in UK I always feel I should talk in whisper though they are mostly tourist attractions during non service times...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hanging turned out so well. I think several countries over seas herald the change of the seasons at the equinox and solstice, and I always reckon that is when our weather starts to really change. Today is definitely not autumnal.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!