I'm sorry, I led you astray in last week's post! The quilt which won first place for ten years was made earlier than my imperfect memory thought, from 1887 to 1897. It's still quite an achievement, though.
While in Canberra we visited the Australian National Archives, as I had read of a photography exhibition which sounded interesting....and it was! For nigh on sixty years the Australian government sent photographers out around the country to capture what they saw, and a selection of those 10,000 photos was on display at the Archives. It was such a fascinating place that we went again, to check out other exhibitions....and to try out their café, where we partook of excellent coffee and yummo Cherry Ripe Slice.
For the non-Ozzies, Cherry Ripe is a cherry coconut bar encased in dark chocolate....and this year is its 100th birthday! Cherry Ripe slice, or squares or bars, can have a biscuit or pastry base with a cherry coconut filling, and is topped with melted dark chocolate. Should you feel inclined to try it yourself, there are any number of recipes to be found online.
One day we drove west of Canberra along Paddys River Road, and stopped at Lambrigg Lookout.William Farrer lived near here, and it was here that his experiments with wheat led to the discovery of disease-resistant strains; we learned about him at school, as he was a very important figure in Australian agriculture. For some years his portrait was on the $2 note; unfortunately due to sun glare the sign isn't as legible as I hoped.
The house, built by Farrer, is privately owned. I found this article with pics of its beautiful garden.
Another week has passed. Words have been read, medical appointments have taken place. Songs have been sung.
When the plaster is removed I am hoping to have approval from the physio to play three chords - just three - on my uke, as my annual Eisteddfod performance will take place just five days later. I can sing unaccompanied and indeed plan to do so on the day, but a starting introductory note would be a help. Just D - G - D - A - that's all I ask, it's not much is it.....
Continuing on with Conduct in Opera, Theatre or Public Hall:
"During the performance complete quiet should be preserved, that the audience may not be prevented from seeing or hearing. Between the acts it is perfectly proper to converse, but it should be done in a low tone, so as not to attract attention. Neither should one whisper. There should be no loud talking, boisterous laughter, violent gestures, lover-like demonstrations or anything in manners or speech to attract the attention of others."
I wonder what the folk back in 1885, when these words were written, would think of the 'look at me' behaviour of so many people nowadays?
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
not sure how I missed your last post about the quilt winning so many years running... how funny! you must be counting down the days for that plaster to come off... gosh some days I really would like to go back to that kind of conduct regarding the look at me, listen to me, follow me people!!! cranky me days!!
ReplyDeleteHugz
Well, if you are anything like Ridley once the cone of shame was off him ... he went wild and was running and jumping all over the place. I need new curtains .... so just take it easy and not push things too quickly.
ReplyDeletefantastic news about the wrist.........your probably fine now I am so far behind.........I clicked on the link for the property article and what a beauty that is.......who knew that's where wheat came from as it is now better know in Australia
ReplyDelete