Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2024

More achievements!

The machine sewing shown in the last post has been joined by a few more strips.
There are now four strips ready to be joined to the next pieces but that may require pinning, for accuracy - and I'm not yet sure if I can manage pins.  I did get these strips pressed using my left hand, a slightly awkward process, but at least it's done

And....some hand sewing!
These three pieces were sewn by hand - slowly and shakily, it is true, but they are done.  It will join the rest of the completed blocks when it, and the blocks made during our holiday before The Big Fall, are pressed.

No knitting will happen until my hand has full use again because of tension issues; the knitting done so far will need to match up anything done from now on.  I am still having trouble holding a pen or pencil, but that is something else which will become easier with time.  I hope.

Apart from the first session of physio on Tuesday the week has been blessedly free of medical appointments, something for which we are thankful.  Some use is coming back to my hand but my fingers are still sore and swollen;  they were underneath when I fell so were badly bruised and have not yet recovered.  Never mind, though, all is good.....nothing has yet fallen off.  The bruise on my cheek is still evident and has not yet faded enough to be hidden by make up.

So....words have been read, some sewing has happened, yay!  Songs have been sung, and some ukulele chords were plinked.  The usual hunting and gathering, and so passed another week.

Earlier today we joined with members of the choir for lunch to wish Bill, our fearless leader, a happy birthday....a significant Big 0 birthday, so we all joined in serenading him.  We went to one of the many Chinese restaurants in town but I have to say I found the food disappointing; I had my favourite honey chicken but didn't enjoy it as much as the version served by a restaurant on the main drag....and it cooled down much too quickly, something we don't want on a fairly cool wintery day.  We hadn't eaten at that restaurant before, and I don't think we will be in a hurry to do so again.

Yesterday afternoon I finally made it to quilt group where some of the hand-sewing happened.  We were greeted by the news that our meeting fees are rising, something which doesn't thrill me; in the absence of our own space we meet in a community craft centre.  While we don't have to be a member of the craft centre to use the space non-members have been paying $6 each time they come (members only pay $4) but I have no interest in joining, having been a member several years ago before letting my membership lapse for various reasons.  Now the fees are rising to $10 for non-members (!) and $5 for members.  I think the incentive is to get us to join and pay the annual membership fee of $70, I probably will as the alternative is more expensive, but I am not happy about it.  I certainly have no intention of getting involved with the craft centre in any way again.

Oh well.

Continuing on with Conduct in Opera, Theatre or Public Hall:
"The gentleman should ask permission to call upon the lady the following day, which permission she should grant; and if she be a person of delicacy and tact, she will make him feel that he has conferred a real pleasure upon her by his invitation.  Even if she finds occasion for criticism in the performance, she should be lenient in this respect, and seek for points to praise instead, that he may not feel regret at taking her to an entertainment which has proved unworthy."

Yes, indeed.  Even if one wasn't thrilled by the performance, one could still find something praiseworthy about it.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. well done with the sewing... probably acts as an excellent physiotherapy exercise..... I join clubs for the same reason, keep down expenses but I also try and avoid involvement in the politics... I'm just there to play
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see progress being made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Te mando un saludo lleno de energía y alegría y sabes que me alegra mucho que estés trabajando positivamente y haciendo lo que puedes... Ya son tantos los que solo se quejan y se quejan... La vida es para todos no siempre solo en un hermoso color rosa. Desafortunadamente, de vez en cuando aparecen algunas muescas oscuras.
    Le deseo una pronta recuperación y mucha diversión haciendo el mejor trabajo posible.
    Eres un modelo a seguir, sí. Mantente en tu camino... y te traerá alegría. Un abrazo para ti.
    PD: Tu bordado a mano es tan hermoso, y p.d.: Puedo volver a la ópera el lunes, compré una entrada para la Ópera Semper/Dresde... Tengo muchas ganas de que llegue.
    Y espero con ansias tu próximo post... Quilt, soy un novato :-)))) y todavía tengo mucho que aprender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sorry it costs so much to go. I think we pay $10 per year. You must have to pay a lot for the facility.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!