Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2024

Decisions have been made

Yes indeedy.....the side borders for Autumn Rhapsody have now been laid out on the design bed, next step is to sew them together.  The fabrics are spread so that the same fabric doesn't touch itself, otherwise all the placement is completely random.  I like random.  Some folks have problems with random, but random is fun.

This is halfway along one side, one of the remaining leaf blocks surrounded by half square triangles ready to be sewn......
......and this is one corner.  You can see how the design wraps around.
This corner wrap is why I don't care for the original rectangle design.  The layout is a square medallion-style, then a couple of rows were added to top and bottom making the design (in my eyes, at least) unbalanced and clumsy.....so, mine will be square.

This is another of my autumn projects, a table runner made from fabrics purchased in Canada.  Some were fabrics used in a challenge by Rose Marie's group, and I liked them so much that I bought more of the range - and now those are in my autumn quilt, and can be seen in the pics above.
The background and backing for the runner are a pale creamy leaf print bought here after arriving home and it, too, is used in the autumn quilt.  I don't know how many background fabrics are in that quilt, but the variety of colours and prints gives more texture than using the same fabric throughout would have done.

How has everyone been this week?  My hand and fingers are slowly progressing although still swollen and sore, but on waking the past couple of mornings my fingers weren't as painful and stiff as they have been.  While it's warm in bed, the many hours of inaction mean my fingers are tender by morning and need some wiggling and wriggling to get them working again.  Every little step of progress is worthwhile, and I am expecting a good report from Emma physio on Tuesday.

Words have been read.  No seams were sewn by machine but some hand sewing was done.  Notes were plinked without too much discomfort, always a good thing.  We hunted and gathered enough to keep the wolf from the door, my monthly volunteer shift at a gallery was on Tuesday, the quarterly medical check-up was on Friday, and that was the week.

Mrs "what strumming pattern should we play" didn't come to Thursday uke, something for which I was thankful.  (I shouldn't say that, should I.....but I was)  We had a small group for the first day back and I was able to spend time afterward with one player who is getting more experienced on ukulele.  I gave her a few tips about which fingers to use for which chords, and a few other pointers; she later sent an email saying how grateful she was, and how much it helped.  That is good feedback, and I'm happy to be of assistance.  

Just to remind us that winter hasn't yet gone we have had more freezy frosty chilly mornings this week but that looks like changing from tomorrow, with some rain forecast and - well, not quite warm, but less cold mornings.  Today is grey and overcast, a foretaste of tomorrow's expected rain; this morning's sun, which made us optimistic enough to hang two loads of washing outside, has disappeared and the washing is now inside finishing off its drying by the fire.

Every time the TV is turned on (which isn't all that often, there being not much that appeals to us) we are being swamped by coverage of the Olympic Games.  Not everyone in the world thinks this is a good idea; all I can think of is "my goodness, what does it all cost"; no wonder fewer and fewer countries are putting up their hands to host it.  Many schools and hospitals could be built and staffed for what is, after all, just a glorified sports carnival.  I have never been a very sporty person right from when we had compulsory sport at school - which I really disliked, I would far rather read a book - so I don't feel inclined to spend my leisure hours watching it.  When the games were in Sydney back in 2000 we, in common with many others, left and went to New Zealand instead.....where we even bumped unexpectedly into people we knew in Sydney!

Continuing on with Conduct at charity fairs:
"As a gentleman must always remove his hat in the presence of ladies, so he should remain with head uncovered, carrying his hat in his hand, in a public place of this character."

A gentleman keeping his head (mostly) covered is something that has gone the way of the proverbial dodo, isn't it?  I wonder what those long-ago folk would think of the ubiquitous baseball-style cap which is never taken off, even indoors - especially when worn back-to-front.  You can imagine the derision, can't you.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

6 comments:

  1. Yay, comments are now working on my ipad. It must feel good to be making progress on both your autumn projects. Sometimes it is good not to overthink fabric placement, other than not having the same fabric next to one another. We have also been having the freezing mornings, but look forward to a little warmth next week…..fingers crossed. My Mum always insists that a man remove his hat indoors, and fortunately, that is something that Mick has always done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good teachers take the time to explain things to beginners, instead of trying to show off the teacher's knowledge. Thank you for being the helpful teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have small bits of that fabric you bought here. Good progress on your top and you fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like how your quilt is coming together.... Sadly I feel relieved when some people are missing from various groups too!! haha...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is coming together beautifully. I love your table runner too. It feels nice to help some one improve...good on you. Glad improvement is happening with your hand. Looking forward to Spring here thank you very much xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!