then they stood side by side.
The reddish-pinkish-goldish fabric was included in a kit bought several years ago in Canada; all the leaves were cut from the one fabric, and fabric quantities included with the kit were very generous so there is more than enough left to make a tree.
The different fabric tones made the leaves come alive on that project, and now the leftovers can be part of Arboretum.How has everyone's week been? We have had a busy time running here and running there, and trying to stay cool....not always easy when the temperatures is as hot as it has been. We have had a little rain but nothing to get excited about, so we didn't, but the frog in the drainpipe certainly did. Some rumbly thunder from time to time, and that was about it.
The mangoes are all sliced, diced and in the freezer, just waiting to be eaten. It occurred to me that I have a mango recipe which might appeal to some of you; it was published (typed by hand, of course) in the 1988 Bicentennial Cook Book put out by the primary school our sons attended in the 1980s. You will need:
1 mango
1 tub sour cream, 200 ml - 250 ml. You can use light sour cream if you wish, but it must be sour cream not regular cream
Flaked coconut. If you can't get flaked you could use desiccated. I don't recommend using shredded coconut as it's drippy and messy.
Peel your mango, cut off the flesh and mash with a fork. Stir in as much sour cream as you need; the quantity will depend on how juicy the mango is, and how runny the sour cream. You want to have a slightly runny but not liquid consistency. Lastly, stir in the flaked coconut (as much as the mango/sour cream mix happily takes), cover and store in fridge overnight. The coconut will absorb some of the sour cream/mango mixture, and it will thicken. Serve dolloped on fruit salad, or if you really want to push the boat out it can be served in a pretty glass bowl surrounded by cut fruit for dipping - peach/nectarine/apricot slices, strawberries, orange slices, whatever your little heart desires. This is when you will be pleased that you didn't use shredded coconut. If memory serves me correctly, it's called 'Mango Fruit Dip'.
Each year Pantone, the colour people, release a 'Colour of the Year' based on trends happing around the world, and the colour for 2025 has been announced. It is 'Mocha Mousse', and is a rather unfortunate shade of brown. Now I like coffee, and chocolate, and cocoa, and mousse - all of those - but like many others I lived through the 1970s when brown ruled supreme and 'Mission Brown' was the colour of the decade! I can only assume that the folk who chose Mocha Mousse weren't alive back in those days.
Words have been read. Stitches have been sewn. Notes have been plinked and sung. The U3A uke group has been getting into the odd seasonal song or two. We hunted and we gathered, and that was about it.
A few months ago Emma physio loaned me a piece of equipment for the strength exercises which were part of my daily routine, so this week I made an appointment to take it back and to check on how my arm and hand were doing. Quite well, it seems, especially considering the severity of the injury and the fact that it was on a joint - joint injuries take longer to heal. Emma has a folding ruler that is used to measure the angle my wrist can bend forward and backward, and it is much more advanced that it was on the last visit. She also has a grip gadget for measuring strength and, while my right hand isn't yet as strong as the left, it has certainly improved. Both Emma and I were pleased with the visit. She felt that it would take a year for my wrist and hand to get back to what they were before the fall, and it certainly seems as though that will be the case - next week will be eight months, so it's on track for a year.
"Attending to the wants of others.
See everywhere and at all times that ladies and elderly people have their wants supplied before you think of your own. Nor is there need for unmanly haste or pushing in entering or leaving. There is always time enough allowed for each passenger to enter in a gentlemanly manner and with a due regard to the rights of others."
Of course there is. There is no need for a gentleman to be ungentlemanly.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
Your forest is progressing well, as is your wrist by the sounds of it. I like your description of the Pantone colour as being “unfortunate”. I agree. Even mission brown is better, as it has some depth. The mango dip does sound nice. A bit like the ambrosia dessert.
ReplyDeleteI am also unimpressed by the Pantone colour. I'm calling it beige. I won't be adding it to my stash in any way.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your wrist progress.
comments are giving me fits this morning - this is my fifth (sixth?) attempt...
ReplyDeleteloving your trees!!! isn't it the best when a kit has plenty of fabric?!?
we still have a bit of snow in shady places - don't know if the blow-up hippos will EVER get to shine this winter, but the Green Nation is happier
p.s. - we call the new color sh!t brown
your trees are coming along well... some of them look raised - the colours I guess..... hot and humid here... staying indoors with aircon as much as I can...
ReplyDeleteHugz
I am truly LOVING your tree blocks!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry I have been blog absent. I am way behind on reading but wanted to pop in and say hello until I can comment more on the posts I am behind on.
I remember the brown, rust and gold and don’t want to live it again either. love your new blocks. It is snowing here today.
ReplyDeleteit's monday in Australia now - you're okay, right?!? miss your sunday update!
ReplyDelete