Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2025

Happy New Year!

Just think, that means we're a quarter of the way through the century......

Did you all have a peaceful New Year celebration?  We certainly did; we drove out of town to meet up with a friend for lunch, which was a lovely way to spend time at the end of the old year.  Consequently we ate very sparingly later, and of course we watched 'Dinner for One'.  If you have never seen it I would recommend watching it - it's quite funny, and we all need a chuckle at times, don't we.

The new year started with two new trees.  Not all trees will have foliage, some will be more impressionistic.
Something different was tried with the branches too - a branch growing off a branch, rather than all branches growing from the centre.  After all, trees have branches growing in different directions, yes?

I like this deep gold fabric.  The leaves are purple so some leftover binding from my autumn tree hanging makes good branches, as it, too, is deep purple.  (Wouldn't that make a good song title?  Oh wait......)
Side by side.  One of these days all the trees made so far will be lined up for a pic, to see how they look together.

Binding was cut for Autumn Rhapsody, and while doing that I couldn't resist a pic of the selvedge.
The Cunning Plan for the coming week, as well as to make two more trees, is to join the binding strips and maybe - just maybe - start sewing binding to the quilt.  The label is in progress as we speak; the information is being embroidered with one strand of DMC floss 3781, a warm brown, on a mottled light tan fabric which is one of the background fabrics used in the quilt.  3781 has been used for other projects, it's a very useful floss colour.....one of those projects now lives in northern Ontario, Canada.

How has everyone's last/first week of the year been?  

Words have been read here, stitches have been sewn.  No songs have been sung or plinked yet.  We hunted and gathered; in fact we took ourselves for a drive to a small town half an hour north to try a different butcher.  A few months ago we voted in local council elections at a small village 10 minutes north and, after casting our votes, bought a democracy sausage each to help the village school funds.....and what nice sausages they were, too.  Upon enquiring we were told they came from a butcher in the aforesaid small town, so on Friday off we went.  We harnessed up the trusty VW and drove up the road to Manilla where we went to both butcher shops, making purchases at each.  Well - what nice meat from both shops, and what pleasant staff!  We have tried some already, and more is waiting in the freezer.  We have decided to repeat the exercise from time to time; it's a pleasant drive, the meat from both shops is certainly good, and parking is very easy, something that can't always be said for our bigger busier town.

Summer's heat is well and truly upon us, but some rain would be nice.....our rainfall total last year was above average, but the last couple of months were not; December was well blow average.  It's easy to see who waters their lawn regularly, and who doesn't....we don't.  Our lawn will recover when it rains, and it will rain eventually; we had a couple of storms over the last few days, but not much rain to speak of.  So we won't.

"Reading when travelling.
If a gentleman in travelling, either on tram-cars, railway or steamboat, has provided himself with newspapers or other reading, he should offer them to his companions first.  If they are refused, he may with propriety read himself, leaving the others free to do the same if they wished."

One wonders what those travellers in 1885 would have thought of today's tablets, e-readers and indeed phones taken along on a journey for reading....would they offer theirs to their companions first?  Somehow, I don't think so.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer











6 comments:

  1. What a great idea to drive up to Manila to support their butchers. Small towns seem to have very good butcher shops. We like Manila and have stayed in the pub there a few times when travelling on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my Mum used to teach dressmaking there. She was based at Tamworth Tech, travelling out on the train and taught in a room at one of the pubs. One of her students was a European immigrant and had metal teeth, which freaked her out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your forest is growing faster than the Green Nation's forests ... 3781 is one of my favorite browns, too!

    we might get some snow Tuesday - last night there was a dusting and dawn's light showed beautiful hoarfrost...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have quite a patch of woodland by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trees are looking great. Happy New Year....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tree blocks, so beautifully different - nothing is the same in nature. And the fabrics you have chosen are great.
    I'm very happy about beautiful selvedges. I once sewed a bag out of many different selvedges... I really like wearing it... I'll put it on the blog for you in my next post so you can see how I sewed it :-)))
    I'm currently putting off a binding... I'm having visitors next weekend - full house, so I need time to prepare.
    I had to laugh at your final sentence, you hit the nail on the head... mobile phone mania.
    Best wishes from Viola

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!