How has everyone been this week?
This week's trees. I've never seen a turquoise, blue and yellow tree, but no doubt they exist somewhere....even if only in my imagination.
An autumn tree, just for me. This is my new favourite.
The twelve trees made so far were laid out to see how they look.....there are definitely some autumn colours going on there.
My eyes are detecting a shortage of green trees, though.....that's something to be remedied, yes?
The label for Autumn Rhapsody is done.
It has, believe it or not, been pressed. No doubt when it's sewn to the quilt that stubborn crease across the middle won't be so noticeable.....or so I'm telling myself.The binding strips are joined and pressed in half, but I have a feeling that it won't be long enough. The trusty tape measure will be pressed into service before starting to sew binding to quilt because another strip may need to be joined in, and that would be easier before it's three-quarters sewn to the quilt, wouldn't it.
Words have been read. Stitches have been sewn, by hand and by machine. No songs have been played or notes plinked; my tenor uke has gone to have the machine heads replaced (that's the things that the tuning pegs are attached to) but I still have two ukes and two guitars I can play when the fancy strikes. We hunted and gathered, food was bought.
It was also the time for the annual eye check-up. My eyes, so the optometrist tells me, are in excellent health - something for which I am thankful; my vision, however, is another story. The cataract which has been slowly....oh, so slowly.....forming on my left eye is still nowhere near needing an operation yet, and now another is starting to form on my right eye. If you feel that your vision is getting worse come back and see us, said the nice optometrist. My reading glasses are having new lenses fitted, a previous prescription is serving the purpose for now, but I will be pleased to have my others back again.
The tourists are arriving....there's a big country music festival here in January; many locals bail out and leave town, some rent their homes out to visitors, some rent out a spare bedroom or two. For the past several years we have billeted one of the performers but our usual musical friend, Paul, can't make it this year (he has medical and health stuff happening). We will miss him, and miss our chats around the table over a cuppa, but no doubt we will make a new friend with a different muso.
Best of all, we've had rain.....not heaps and heaps, but enough to make the dead dry brown grass on the hill behind us start to show a little touch of green. More is forecast for this week, in fact the storm radar shows that we may get rain later today. Just in time for those festival campers setting up their tents and caravans....
The occasional visiting frog in the down pipe has been croaking frantically (well, it sounds frantic to us) sending out his "I'm available, girls....how about it?" signals to the girl frogs. He was very loud last night; we were hoping his lady love would soon arrive and put him out of his misery, but as he was croaking earlier today he had no luck last night. Well, that's the way love goes, isn't it.
"Occupying too many seats.
No lady will retain possession of more than her rightful seat in a crowded tram-car or railway carriage. When others are looking for accommodations she should at once and with all cheerfulness so dispose of her baggage that the seat beside her may be occupied by someone who desires it, no matter how agreeable it may be to retain possession of it."
Yes, she should. When I was commuting by train I noticed that many school children took up more than their one seat with their school bag, while I always kept my bag on my lap. More than once while waiting for the afternoon train it was common to see a teen - not always the same one - spread herself and her bag over a seat which was intended for three or four people, so I would turn my back to the seat and say in my best 'teacher' voice (despite not being a teacher) "would you move your bag, please" as I lowered myself to the seat.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
Your forest is coming along nicely. Tamworth does get a tad busy at this time of year. It is a festival we’ve never attended….. one day. It does seem to have challenging weather at times - either scorching or flooding.
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, the discovery that your binding is too short, as you are nearing the home stretch, is never fun. May your measurements be correct.
ReplyDeletewow - your embroidered letters are so neat!!! verrrry impressive!
ReplyDeleteThe trees are looking good. I have seen old trees (dead) painted blue and there is a 'blue gum" I believe. And almost a finish for you - it's very annoying finding the binding is not long enough....
ReplyDeleteHugz
I do like that turquoise tree. What about purple for a tree? That colour is missing.
ReplyDeleteYour trees are looking great. Very annoying when you are a little short! Your town must be getting busy with the festival imminent. Happy New Year xx
ReplyDelete