Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2025

Have you ever seen a red peacock?

Neither have I.

This fabric was in the Big Basket of Batiks, and I thought it deserved to be a tree.
Definitely a peacock feather thing going on.....the blue contrast was a strip left over from one of the blocks in my Canadian applique quilt.  

It's several years too late, but if you had some spare moolah back in 2008 you could have bought yourself a magnificent embroidered peacock feather cape......the 'eyes' are embroidered, the rest of the feathers are filaments from real peacock feathers, and it is lined with yellow silk.  Perhaps it was intended for an Empress or Emperor to wear.

I think the green fabric might be sideways but it wasn't wide enough to be cut vertically, so sideways it had to be.  Perhaps it's a windblown tree.
Many years ago I bought a bag of leftover batik strips from a well-known quilter in the Big Smoke who did a lot of strip piecing.....perhaps one day they will become a bag, I thought to myself.  They never did, but are now coming in useful as trunks and branches.  This cheerful orange was one of those strips, and others have been used so far too.

A week of bright trees.

Did you know about the Blue Tree Project?  We have a few trees in our town - one we pass regularly is in a park next to the river, at the bridge - and the small town half an hour away with the two excellent butcher's shops also has one.  I have made two blue trees so far, so I suppose I'm doing my bit too.

How is everyone this week?  Not much has happened here.....on Friday I had my quarterly medical check-up, and all is mostly well.  A slight tweak of one medication should fix that, she said.  Jolly good.  Don't need to go back for a few months again now, it's not my favourite place to be.

Sewing the binding down on Autumn Rhapsody continues.  Some stupid little bug in my brain must have told me to use very small stitches, which is why it's taking a while; two weeks into it, and it's not quite half done.  The Cunning Plan was to have it done by the last week of this month so it could be entered in the annual show but there is still a lot of binding to be sewn down, then the sleeve to be done, then the label covered up (quilts are anonymously judged) and that may not be done by 26th February when entries have to be delivered.  Oh well.....there's always next year, isn't there.....

Words have been read.  Stitches have been sewn.  Songs have been sung because choir resumed for the year last week, and plinking has happened because U3A ukulele group is also back.  We have some raw beginners.  I am not a trained teacher, neither am I a properly trained musician, so I find it very stressful.  No doubt we'll blunder along; the holidays at the end of each term will certainly be welcome.

One thing which has been in our brains lately - we have come to the point of selling our caravan.  Last year's trip home from Victoria was difficult for Kevin as, being plastered for the broken arm and in a certain amount of pain, I couldn't help with the daily set-up at all.  He found getting the roof up by himself quite difficult; we usually push it up together.  We compromised by staying in motels or cabins in caravan parks where the van could be parked nearby and which also made it easy for Kevin to help me shower; while caravan parks have facilities for those with disabilities (which I certainly was then) they weren't stand-alone facilities.  That van was an impulse buy 27 years ago and has taken us to many places we would not have visited otherwise, but it is getting a bit tired....so perhaps it's time to pass it on to another owner who will enjoy using it as much as we have.

We will miss it.  There are still so many places I want to go but I suspect never will now as we, too, are 27 years older.

Still on our train journey:
"It is not required of a gentleman in a railway carriage to relinquish his seat in favor of a lady, although a gentleman of genuine breeding will do so rather than allow the lady to stand or suffer inconvenience from poor accommodation."

Perhaps it depends on the length of the journey.  Standing for a trip of several hours would not be fun, whether one is a lady or a gentleman.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer



7 comments:

  1. before i read the rest of this post, i have to answer with: the

    i've never seen a purple cow
    i hope to never see one
    but i can tell you anyhow
    i'd rather see than be one

    mmhmmm - the first poem my dad ever taught me - i miss that man

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo!!! these may be my favorite trees to date - it is grey and brown and gloomy here today , so some bright is a beautiful thing...

    i, too, have pretty much given up on seeing the places that i didn't get around to seeing in those years that were used up being a Responsible Adult - i do hope that i've learned and will retain these lessons if i ever get a do-over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have quite a few of these trees now, and a very colourful forest they will make. Yes, life goes on and we all get older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the trees look great..... def need to make some of those harder decisions as we age, but you can still visit and do the motels with the money you sell the van for! go for it while you can!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have a scrap of something very similar to that green batik. It looks familiar. I'm enjoying watching the tree progress.
    The last time I had a big quilt to bind, I took over the dining room table. Then it wasn't in my lap during July! In February, quilts are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m really enjoying watching your forest grow. We now have a metal blue tree in the park next to the main bridge in town. It must be hard to sell your van, but everything has its season and yours was for a jolly good length of time. We have had ours for 8 years and reckon on another 10 years, all things being equal. At least you can still get out and about staying in cabins and the likes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, sad to see your caravan go. I bet there were good memories in it. If you don't use it, then you may as well let it go.
    Love watching your trees grow!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!