Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2025

Things which grow on trees

This week's trees has some...interesting...things growing on, or in, them.

Does this remind you of fireworks - or 'crackers', as we used to call them?  Because it certainly reminds me of those bursts of colour when they explode in the sky and everyone looks up and says "....aaaahhhh....."

Or perhaps they are spiky plant seeds which catch in clothing and irritate one's skin.  Nasty things they are, too.

On second thoughts, I prefer fireworks.

Some large flowers growing in this tree.  The bright lemon/lime at the top appeals to me, it certainly contrasts with the rest of the fabrics.



They look quite good together, but I prefer the fireworks tree.

Back in my childhood we used to have an annual "cracker night"; we would save our pennies and buy ourselves some crackers which we would light - under parental supervision, of course.  In those far-off days 'Empire Day' was celebrated on 24th May, Queen Victoria's birthday, and we had a half-day off from school.  Since then the sale of crackers for home consumption has been banned, the half-holiday is no more, and we're apparently all about the Commonwealth rather than the Empire.

How has everyone been this week?  We have drifted along on our merry way; a visit to the hairdresser on Monday for me....there are few things worse than having to look at one's reflection for what seems like far too long, in my book.  A mirrorless trim would be ideal.  Still, it won't need trimming again for several months, so that's something, I suppose.  My hair was long for many years and I still miss it - mainly because it meant fewer meetings with that dreaded mirror.  It's shorter now because the eye surgery of a few years ago - good heavens, it will be five years in August - means that my vision is now so big and broad that my eyes need protection from the sun making a hat necessary, and shorter hair is easier for wearing a hat.

Words were read.  Stitches were sewn, and more diamonds to add to the travelling stash were cut.  Songs were plinked and sung, choir is still in recess but the ukulele group warbles along.  We hunted and we gathered, and that was about it.  No more nibbles from anyone interested in buying our caravan, but we are forever hopeful.

Next weekend looks like being a bit busy:  a trip for a quilt show an hour north on Saturday, and a visit to the theatre on Sunday to attend the play written and directed by our choir leader.  The following week will be short as we head off for our trip south on Thursday 20th March, and a day before that we will take ourselves out for a (hopefully) nice lunch to celebrate our 49th anniversary. 

Best of all, it is starting to lightly rain!  Our forecast indicates that we should get more worthwhile rain in the next two days that we have had for several months.  The tropical cyclone which was hanging around before being downgraded is responsible for that, even though we are further inland and further south from the main areas of rain and damage.  I, for one, would not have liked to have been in one of those high (very high) rise buildings when the storm was raging, I reckon it would have been swaying enough to cause sea sickness.

We have now moved on from travel in railway carriages, tram cars and steamers.

"Riding and driving.
One of the most exhilarating and enjoyable amusements that can be indulged in by either ladies or gentlemen is that of riding on horseback, and it is participated to a very great extent in Australia.  The etiquette of riding, though meagre, is exact and important."

Well, yes - it probably is. Don't want to frighten the horse by inexact etiquette, do we?

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer




4 comments:

  1. This week's batiks are both yummy!
    The 24th of May is Victoria Day here, and we get the Monday before off. It is the first long weekend of the summer, and is an exuberant celebration that we survived another winter. Although fireworks are allowed, that is usually saved for Canada Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More fun trees. Empire Day was before my time, but I do know the date and reason behind it, as it is also Mick’s birthday. Enjoy your busy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a couple more lovely trees..... I don't like loud bangs so sadly fireworks has never been a favourite thing of mine... but I do like looking at them on the TV with the sound muted!!!! yours I can appreciate as they are silent! Holidays do change... we get Kings birthday - I don't think they do that in England where he lives though...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound optimistic with the coming week. I hope you will blog about your trips to the quilt show and theatre.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!