Pages

Monday, July 21, 2025

A couple of late trees

Yesterday afternoon we were at the theatre, so this week's post is a trifle late.

First, a turquoise tree.....

....then an azurite/malachite tree......

.....and these make 60 trees finished!

If memory serves me correctly these are the last trees made from fabrics from my prize bundle, and they were both, of course, used in Summertime Blues.

Azurite/malachite is a real mineral.  It has both deep blue azurite and rich green malachite, and examples I found online were quite spectacular.  I can see it making beautiful jewellery, I could fancy some earrings....or a ring.....yummm......

Yesterday's theatrical afternoon was a play with music about the life of George Formby, a British performer of years gone by, whose trademark was his ukulele.  Many of his songs are still popular today, however his career, like that of several others, fizzled away after the end of World War II.  His morale-boosting concerts and films did a lot to lift the spirits of civilians and servicemen and women alike, but once the war was over people didn't want to be reminded of those sad times so they turned away in droves.  He was only 56 when he died, just a few months after his wife Beryl, but his songs live on.  The play was very clever, just two performers, a real-life mother and son; mother played the parts of George's mother and of his beloved Beryl, while son played George.  With just a few props and some quick on-stage costume changes, the story was very cleverly done.

How has everyone been this week?  Apart from our jaunt to the theatre it's been a busy week; the choir's charity concert on Saturday night went off well and I had the chance to repeat my award-winning performances with both song and poem, which was fun and which was well received.  Stitches have been sewn but not knitted, one of these days the knitting will be picked up again, however the two-part hanging sleeve on my autumn quilt is now half done.  Once it's finished, those needles and yarn will once more take the quilt's place on my lap.  We hunted and gathered, so we won't starve.

The new car is very comfortable to ride in.  It has now been in our lives for several days and we are getting used to looking at a different shade of silver/grey than in the past.  It might look slightly posh, but it's still a boring colour.  We have had a silver/grey vee-hickle since 2002 so we should be used to boring by now, shouldn't we.

Lime green would have been so nice.....sunshine yellow would be lovely....deep golden orange would be scrumptious, or perhaps bright turquoise......anything but silver/grey.  This will be the last car we ever buy, however, so I suppose we are stuck with boring.

Oh well.  Sigh......at least we have a car.....

Winter continues with some quite chilly mornings.  Earlier this year the long-range forecast was for a warmer than average winter, but so far it's been fairly cool; days are nice, but mornings are definitely not for roaming around barefoot in the grass.  Some rain has fallen and more is forecast which is good, as winter is usually our driest season.  The fire has been doing its job of keeping us warm.

My thoughts have been turning to cutting fabric for another quilt, something I really don't need to do - yet - but after Arboretum is done that might be the time.  For many many years I have wanted to make a yellow quilt, the fabrics have been pulled, and it just might have its turn once those trees are finished.  A search through an older magazine has yielded an easy design, so perhaps that will be The One.  Just think, sunshine gold....lemon yellow.....mustard....butter yellow......wattle flowers and daffodils and other yellow flowers....the more I think about it, the more I want to fondle those fabrics.

Way back when I first started patchwork in the early 1990s yellow was a difficult colour to find, so I bought it when I found it.  It's easier to source these days, but I really don't need to go shopping for yellow fabric as that golden stash is calling.

"Premature declaration.
It is very injudicious, not to say presumptuous, for a gentleman to make a proposal to a young lady on too brief an acquaintance.  A lady who would accept a gentleman at first sight can hardly possess the discretion needed to make a good wife."

I had to look twice at the heading.....and yes, accepting a gentleman at first sight seems somewhat impetuous, to me.

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. It would have been a fun production. We come across him on the Isle of Man, as he starred in a 1935 movie No Limit about the TT races and he has a song Riding in the TT Race from that movie. His black and white checkerboard motorcycle The Shuttleworth Snap has been recreated and there is even a statue of him on the bike in Douglas, the capital.
    I had a chuckle about your etiquette quote. It mustn’t say much for me, as we were engaged just 7 weeks after we met. I mustn’t have made a good wife. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. premature whattheeff?!? ha ha ha!!!

    your self-discipline is admirable, but Life is short and i'd be giving those yellow fabrics some love already, all things being equal ... the trees won't be jealous, i don't think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have reliable wheels again ... and fun to go to the show. Love the trees - 60 is impressive ... how many more?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those trees look like I feel. FROSTY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting what you say about G Formby. I was born in 1950, and in my memory he was on (British) tv quite a lot when I was a child. But maybe people didn't go and see him live. We've just changed our silver (boring) car for a dark blue one, and now regret shunning silver because the blue one shows every speck of dust...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!