There are apparently so many species of wattle that somewhere in Australia, every day of the year, wattle trees are blooming. Some are dark gold, some are so pale as to be nearly white, and there is every shade of yellow in between.....we have certainly seen wattles this colour.
The second tree reminds me of an underwater scene in a tropical lagoon. It's quite a bit paler than many of the trees, but then an Arboretum needs trees which are light and trees which are dark.
This week's trees.
We're now into re-using fabrics but each fabric is only used once for a tree, and once for a contrast. Once all the blocks are together I am hoping it won't be too obvious, but the alternative would have to be 198 different fabrics - and while I have a good stash of batiks, it's not that extravagant!
These two pics are fabrics chosen to make bags. In a few weeks the Historical Society museum will have its Spring Fair and Open Day, and will also celebrate the house's 150th birthday. As I have done in past years I will be taking along one of my 1920s Singer treadle machines and demonstrating how sewing used to be done - and, indeed, still is. All fabrics will be already cut out and any pressing will be done in advance, as I won't have access to an iron on the day.
This bag may be donated to charity but I quite like the yellow fabrics, so that bag might stay with me.
Snowdrops planted by the previous owner, which pop up annually in late winter.
How has everyone been this week? We have had even more rain, so much in fact that the river flooded again for the second time in a couple of weeks. Fortunately it was classed as a minor flood - there are, it seems, minor, moderate and major floods - so while two of the three river bridges were closed, the water went down quickly. The ground is already saturated, so it doesn't take much rain for a flood.
Words have been read. Stitches have been sewn and knitted, in fact I may have overdone it because last year's broken arm has been rather painful, so it's having several days' rest from knitting. At my quarterly check-up earlier in the week the doctor suggested going back to the exercises prescribed by the physio while my arm was healing, so I have been doing that. Songs have been plinked and sung in readiness for performance at the Historical Society's open day, so it will be a busy day.
A shout out to Barbara, wherever you are - thank you for visiting my blog! I wasn't able to reply to your comment as you came up as 'no-reply-blogger'.
This quote reminds us how things have changed in the past 140 years.
"Parents should exercise authority over daughters.
Parents should always be perfectly familiar with the character of their daughter's associates, and they should exercise their authority so far as not to permit her to form any improper acquaintances. In regulating the social relations of their daughter, parents should bear in mind the possibility of her falling in love with any one with whom she may come into frequent contact. Therefore, if any gentleman of her acquaintance is particularly ineligible as a husband, he should be excluded as far as practicable from her society."
I don't think so. How will she ever learn to pick good from bad if she is not given the chance?
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
Wattle blooms are starting to pop up everywhere now. Lovely blocks. Showing how treadle machines work will be great for people to see. I love your etiquette quote this week. The sons must be able to just run amock.
ReplyDeletehope your arm recovers quickly!!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like young women were never allowed to have make friends. How sad for them.
ReplyDeleteThe trees are looking very nice. Enjoy your treading.
You have kept up well with your trees... Good idea with the bags to take along on your treadle... they are lovely machines... I hope your arm heals well. Our wattle is still glorious... I do love seeing them around
ReplyDeleteHugz
Don't know why it came up as no reply!
ReplyDeleteI read your blog every week, just never comment. I'm in South Australia (we visited Tamworth a few months and enjoyed it).
Besides batik, I can't imagine using any other fabric right now – and that's going to be exciting.
ReplyDeleteThe bag fabric is fantastic.
My mother had a Singer treadle sewing machine, and I loved sewing with it as a child... which is probably why I've started sewing again after my knitting adventures... I'm on quilt number 3 :-))) now - will be on the blog next time :-)
Best wishes to you, Jennifer. I always enjoy reading your blog.
Hugs, Viola
Think I’m the unknown who was pleased you are away from the river. Don’t know how to change to Annette. Loving the Spring teaser days with Wattle brightening the days, just as lovely as your batik trees. Take care.
ReplyDelete