Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2025

Finally....unstressed trees!

Things are proceeding well on the injured hand.  It can now be left uncovered to enjoy the fresh air, and is enjoying its freedom - as is its owner, and as am I.

Consequently the stress has pretty much disappeared, so this week's trees are stress-free.

First, a lime tree with what could be berries.....

....I'm not sure if one can grow blue, red and purple berries on one tree, but this tree does.

This puts me in mind of a creeper growing against a rusty metal fence, so perhaps it's not ~quite~ a tree.
Although I still like it.

Numbers 79 and 80, how good is that?  Only 19 to go; at two a week, and three in the last week, that makes nine weeks' worth of trees left.

This fabric will be used for binding.  It was bought on our last trip to Canada and is from the same range as the border fabric on my Canadian quilt.  It was made in red and black (the border fabric is red and black), red and red (which I liked, but the black/red contrast appealed more for the border), blue and black, and gold and black.  As it was well into autumn by then, the gold had to come home with me.
I couldn't remember how much had been purchased - turned out to be half a metre, more than enough for binding.  Decisions still need to be made on backing, but as there also need to be more fabrics bought - eight or nine or so, not many - an eye can be run over the batik choices in the local quilt shop.  If she doesn't have anything which appeals to me, there is another shop in a town an hour north.

Today is an early taste of summer warmth.  The bluebells (which we didn't plant) have joined with the snowdrops (which we also didn't plant) flowering in the back yard, and their (mostly) annual flowering is a delight.  The huge port wine magnolia in the front yard is flowering this year because we have had good rain; it doesn't flower at all in dry years, and the flowers are fairly undistinguished anyway, but oh - their scent is wonderful.

How has everyone been this week?  We spent time at the medical centre having Kevin's hand checked - thank goodness those visits have now ceased, although I achieved quite a lot of waiting-time knitting - and we managed the usual hunting and foraging.  Words were read, stitches were sewn and knitted.  Sighs of relief have been heaved at the thought of no more medical Stuff for some time.  

Songs were plinked and sung, and my tenure as leader of the Thursday U3A ukulele is now over.  In a few weeks I will taking up my new position as leader of the new Monday group instead, and best of all....next Thursday I can go back to choir after having to miss two long months, something I am really looking forward to.

We are, I hope, nearing the last of the annual footy season, although these days it seems to go on for most of the year.  Time was when cricket was the main summer sport, and various styles of footy were played in the cooler months, but not so much now.  I find myself wishing that they would disappear from our screens forever, I don't watch them; boofy blokes kicking/throwing/hitting a ball around doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.  Kevin is welcome to watch with the sound turned off, as we can't stand the commentary either.  As for motor racing....well, you can see what's happening, you don't need the screaming of the cars, the spectators and the commentators, do you?

We find ourselves turning the TV off more than it's on.  We don't do streaming as we can't see the point in paying for things we wouldn't watch; both of us grew up in the era before television took over everyone's lives, so we don't mind just having music instead.  Let's face it, when one considers the dross available on the screen these days, it's no great loss.

"Another condition of domestic happiness is intellectual sympathy.  Man requires a woman who can make his home a place of rest for him, and woman requires a man of domestic tastes.  While a woman who seeks to find happiness in a married life will never consent to be wedded to an idler or a pleasure-seeker, so a man of intelligence will wed none but a woman of intelligence and good sense.  Neither beauty, physical characteristics nor other external qualifications will compensate for the absence of intellectual thought and clear and quick comprehensions.  An absurd idea is held by some that intelligence and domestic virtues cannot go together; that an intellectual woman will never be content to stay at home to look after the interests of her household and children.  A more unreasonable idea has never been suggested, for as the intellect is strengthened and cultured, it has a greater capacity of affection, of domesticity and of self-sacrifice for others."

Times have changed, haven't they?

Enjoy your days!

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. Your forest is coming along very nicely. Those berries may be in various states of ripeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more lovely trees. You will have fun searching for some extra fabrics. What will you do when they are all completed? Have you another project in mind as yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m enjoying seeing your forest grow. So many pretty fabrics. And I’m happy the hand is healing well. I love reading your posts and really should comment more. Take care, J / Canadian Needle Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your two new things – the linden tree with its lovely green color and the climbing tree :-)) I'm excited to see what fabrics you buy...
    Have a nice Sunday.
    This afternoon, I'm having plum cake with whipped cream for coffee – outside in the sunshine... I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for choir!!! it's a sure bet that they missed you as much as you missed them...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!