But only if you have been very, very good.
Because we are currently suffering in a heatwave there hasn't been much action in the sewing room, but temperatures are expected to drop somewhat after today (although it will still be a long way from what could be considered 'cool') so more green fabrics will be cut. My brain doesn't cope well with extreme heat, and I can't settle to doing much at all.
As a result, we will be trawling in the photo vault today.
Another view of Butchart Garden, mostly green with just one red tree for contrast.
It shows how successful a monochromatic colour scheme can be, doesn't it? The garden beds are planted with flowers that aren't yet flowering, just the young green leaves are visible.
More Aussie natives from the big store display, taken in our last year living in the Big Smoke.
There are those who decry our native flowers...."oh, they're not as beautiful as roses or pansies" they say.... but all have a place in this wonderful world of ours, don't they? This selection is bright and vibrant, and has some of my favourite colours.
Different doesn't have to mean worse or better, does it. It just means - different.
That applies to people, too. Just because someone looks different to us, or thinks differently, or worships a different deity or indeed doesn't worship anything at all, doesn't make them worse than us.
We have had a fairly quiet week, a couple of appointments to liven things up, lunch on Monday with my ukulele playing friend Clare, some suitably seasonal hunting and foraging. Stitches were sewn and knitted; the jumper (the second sleeve of which is proceeding well) came with me to a medical appointment as there is always waiting time which can be put to creative use. Repairs to the summer top have been started but didn't go well, so Plan B will have to come into play.
Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a Plan B yet......
Tomorrow is the summer solstice, which will happen at 2.02 a.m. I don't plan to be nekkid dancing around the bonfire at the time. I have other plans, chief of which is being deep asleep in the arms of Morpheus.
I wonder if our ancestors really did dance nekkid around the bonfire at solstice time, as they are reputed to have done? It mightn't be too bad in summer, but winter would be a different story. In any case, given our current heatwave and fire danger conditions, a bonfire would be out of the question. Perhaps the crafty ones could improvise with some strips of red cellophane and a fan set to 'high'.
Many many years ago - before we bought our caravan - we were travelling in Victoria, and I had addresses of quilt shops to check out; in those days one had to peruse the ads in quilt magazines to find shops, as the internet was in its infancy. One shop was half post office/half quilt shop, the post office's owner was a quilter. (I looked it up, and it's no longer operating....it was nearly 30 years ago, after all!) While paying for my purchases the owner and I were chatting, and she told me that she always started a new project on Boxing Day which had been not long beforehand, it was her reward to herself for her hectic Christmas each year. That seems like a good idea to me although I have seldom followed through with it, but I plan to this year.
So - come Friday, who wants to join me? Pick a project, no matter how large or small, and start it. I've picked mine, and it is small.
My Canadian tree featuring decorations we bought in Canada, or were gifted by Canadian friends.
In parting - no matter what you celebrate, or even if you don't celebrate anything at all, best wishes for a season of peace, happiness and love.
And chocolate. Good quality dark chocolate.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer

I'm in for the Boxing Day challenge. Though I may start mine on Christmas day, since my little guy is bringing his parents for celebrations on Boxing day. I have the perfect project.
ReplyDeleteI love our native blooms....different makes life interesting. I think your Canadian tree looks lovely! Hope it cools down for you. Hot weather for us this week apparently. Wishing you and Kevin a lovely Christmas too xx
ReplyDeleteThat is a good idea. I can't promise as we have a lot going on, but I just might squeeze in a little time to start something new..... Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWishing you both a very Merry Christmas. I’m looking forward to seeing what you start on Boxing Day. I’m going to start a jigsaw.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm also a fan of high-quality chocolate… dark chocolate. Great.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas and best wishes.
Hug from Viola
I remember that moose. I’ll be working on my Hexie project. It is still Xmas here, so I will wish you Merry Xmas.
ReplyDeleteHope you had a lovely Christmas. I do love our native flowers and will go for a bunch of them when I can. I prefer them in the garden too as they are a bit tougher generally. Not much sewing happened here but there has been left over ham and some home made rocky road...
ReplyDeleteHugz