The last stitches were taken on the binding nearly half an hour ago.
Stepping back and looking at it finished - well, I like it. A lot. Were there things I would have done differently - possibly. Would I love it any more if those changes were made - no.
Fabrics from my stash of Canadian fabrics, and from my stash of autumn print fabrics, and from my stash of low volume background fabrics. My stash contains several sub-stashes, as I'm sure everyone else's does too.
A couple of corners.
The back. The original plan had been to use the wide stripe for the whole back, but it wasn't quite wide enough. The maple leaf fabric is from the same manufacturer as the stripe - Northcott Fabrics - so the colours blend.
Large-scale stripes can be difficult to use; I remember I hesitated before buying this one, but I liked the Canadian-ness of it so it came home with me. It suits the back perfectly.Now there is a block sitting on the sewing table waiting to be made for next Saturday's group meeting....some fabrics were supplied, you will need four large-scale floral fabrics, said the instructions....I managed to find four in the stash. The coming week is busy with several appointments and commitments for us both, but no doubt I will find the odd moment here and there to make one block. Even though one of the supplied fabrics is pink, and I really don't love pink.
Words have been read. As you can see, stitches have been sewn but none knitted, however the knitting will come with me to those various appointments, and who knows how many stitches will be knitted while we wait? Notes have been plinked and sung. We hunted, gathered and foraged in order that we may not starve, and because we are lucky we get to do it all over again next week.
Kevin was scrolling through the offerings on TV earlier, and he came across a cooking program. I don't know what it was called, but it annoyed the bejabbers out of me because it was a man and a woman demonstrating.....she made a sauce out of I-don't-know-what, I think there was cream involved, then HE laid the potato slices tenderly in their dish, HE poured over the sauce she had made, HE placed the dish in the oven, HE took the dish out......all the while he was grinning inanely as if HE had just re-invented the wheel.....which is why I don't care for male TV chefs who have the "step aside, little lady, and let a real man do this" attitude. Yes, I know many men like to cook. Good for them. I'm sure they do so without the superior attitude of most TV chefs.
The same goes for ads with a man showing a woman how to do the washing....in my experience it has been a woman (me) showing a bloke (Kevin and our two sons) how to operate a washing machine and how to use the iron.
And while we're on the subject......do any of you sniff the contents of the wash basket before they go into the washing machine? Or blissfully sniff those freshly washed contents as they hang on the line in the sunshine? Because I, for one, don't, despite those ads which show it happening.
When I rule the world, things will be different.
The plans for our 50th Anniversary Mini World Tour next month are proceeding nicely, all our accommodation has been booked, and I am starting to suss out places to visit. Op shops, of course, that goes without saying....maybe a fabric shop or two.....hopefully someone to play music with.....family to visit in Canberra (no doubt the One And Only Grandkid will be towering over me by now) and friends to catch up with.
Something I have forgotten to mention: during the country music festival last month we attended a morning of poetry and comedy; we have been in the past and always enjoyed it. As we entered we were given a numbered ticket and guess what - I won! A DVD of poetry and laughs from some of the performers; we haven't watched it yet, but we will. Just goes to show that, sometimes, you can be lucky.
"The relations of an engaged couple.
A young man has no right to put a slight upon his future bride by appearing in public with other ladies while she remains neglected at home. He is in future her legitimate escort. He should attend no other lady when she needs his services; she should accept no other escort when he is at liberty to attend her. A lady should not be too demonstrative of her affection during the days of her engagement. There is always a chance of "a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip"; and over demonstrations of love are not pleasant to be remembered by a young lady, if the man to whom they are given by any chance fails to become her husband. An honorable man will never tempt his future bride to any such demonstration. He will always maintain a respectful and decorous demeanor toward her."
That's right. No PDAs please, folks. One never knows where to look when one is a spectator to such an activity.
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
Your Canada project looks great!
ReplyDeleteIf I ran the world, laundry would smell like nothing? Laundry? Nothing like walking around the neighbourhood on a Sunday morning to the smell of what a chemical lab thinks flowers smell like, as the neighbours run their dryers.
Finished is a good feeling. It looks good too. Have fun with the next one.
ReplyDeleteooo!!! it's WELL DONE, Jennifer!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, it does feel good to have a finish. It turned out so well.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, a lovely Cananda finish - and well done getting such a straight line on the back. I don't smell my laundry after - let alone before! It is pleasing to see some younger males are now expected to help with the laundry and learning skills - I do blame us girls though as we never bothered to let them for years thinking it made us 'good housewives'.... Happy to say and I am not a good housewife!! haha
ReplyDeleteHugz
Your octagonal quilt turned out beautifully, dear Jennifer. And it's simply wonderful to have something finished :-))) Do you then immediately dive into the next project? I do the same... and enjoy it :-)))
ReplyDeleteFor many years, I've washed my laundry with detergent without perfume or anything like that, and I never use fabric softener. Weather permitting, I dry it outside; the wind smooths everything out, and I rarely need to iron... I mainly use my iron for quilting :-))
Sending you a big hug.
Oh, love your table mat. When you don’t want it anymore, I’ll take it. Thank you! LOL
ReplyDelete