The resident holder-upper doesn't have a wide wingspan, hence the bottom is touching the ground.....but I love the stained glass effect looking out from our back verandah, don't you? The remaining section will be done this week; it's a busy week with appointments, choir, quilt group, U3A ukulele starting back tomorrow, but somehow during those days I will find time to make three blocks each with nine trees in them, sew them together and join it to the right of this piece - then the top will be finished.
Getting this far is a good feeling. Knowing how close the top is to being done is even better.
Thoughts have also been thought about a label for Arboretum. One of the batik fabrics from the Big Basket is a pale yellow leafy print which will make a good label background while also looking suitably....leafy, and the details will be embroidered by hand.
When I retrieved the quilt from holder-upper Kevin's embrace a visitor fluttered in for a drink, a rainbow lorikeet, a species we often see hanging around this area.
They are noisy chattering birds, and their bright plumage is very colourful. When we moved to our last house in the Big Smoke back in 1987 we never saw them, but as the two Callistemon trees on the front footpath grew larger and produced more flowers - and more nectar - they were more frequent (and noisier!) visitors; by the time we moved out 23 years later their numbers had grown considerably.
Several years ago rainbow lorikeets were the inspiration for an art quilt challenge, with fun results.
Next Thursday, 7th May, will be the 16th anniversary of our moving out of the Big Smoke, and into this house. It's been a good move, and we both know it's a better place for us to spend our declining years than in a huge metropolis with too much traffic, too many people, and construction everywhere you turn. I used to like spending time in Parramatta which wasn't far away and which has some interesting old buildings to explore from colonial days, but these days it's just another huge city....and those attractive historic buildings are now dwarfed by their taller neighbours, something I'm glad not to see. Some have even been deemed surplus to requirements and removed, knocked down, which I find a shame.
How has everyone been this week? We have had the usual running around with appointments and shopping. Words have been read, stitches have been sewn and knitted. Songs have been sung. Some practice went into refining the song for the Eisteddfod concert at the end of this month (so close!), and it's coming along well.
No rain fell this week, not one dribble or drip. It has now been over five weeks since the last shower of rain, but we have hopes that the next day or two may bring a little drizzle. Temperatures are still mild but next Friday is forecast to be an early taste of winter, so the winter woolies had better be checked to make sure they are fit to be seen in public.
Continuing on with Etiquette of Weddings:
"After the marriage invitations are issued, the fiancee does not appear in public. It is also de rigeur at morning weddings that she does not see the bridegroom on the wedding-day, until they meet at the altar."
I find it strange that a newly-engaged woman has to hide herself away from public gaze until she becomes Mrs Someone Else. Perhaps the idea is to stop her finding a bloke she prefers to the one who finally plucked up enough courage to pop the question?
Enjoy your days!
Jennifer
The lorikeet is do bright. I can see why it would inspire a challenge.
ReplyDeleteI don't think wedding invitations were sent out as far ahead when your book was written as they are today. The internet suggests 2 weeks to a month ahead of the date was usual. In that period, shouldn't the bride be finishing off her trousseau? No time for socializing.
I too love the stained glass effect when the light is behind a quilt top. Hmm, sometimes more than one holder upper is required, I think yours is doing a grand job so far.
ReplyDeleteoh. my. so, so, SO lovely!!!
ReplyDeleteThe way your trees glow in the sun, dear Jennifer, is truly beautiful... it's so wonderful when a quilt top takes shape. I'm so happy to see it, after imagining so many different blocks together.
ReplyDeleteI wish you lots of joy with your sewing, in the quilting group—I'd love to join one too :-)—choir, ukulele group... and all the other lovely things we enjoy.
Hugs from Viola
P.S. The parrot is so beautiful; we mostly have sparrows and tits at the birdbath. Greetings from Germany.
The stained glass effect does look good. I look forward to seeing the completed top next post. We were blessed with 12mm of rain on Monday. The day after the show finished, so everyone was happy.
ReplyDeleteOMG your trees are stunning! What a beauty you will have.
ReplyDelete