The online group of which I have been a member since mid-1997 holds an annual retreat, and there are always opportunities for those who can't attend to be involved. Ten years ago it was held in Adelaide, South Australia, and those who couldn't be there in person were invited to send a photo of themselves to be displayed in a "Rogues' Gallery", with some prizes. One prize was still undrawn at the end of the retreat so the photos were put in a box and one lucky photo drawn out.......and I won a quilt.
"Kiwiana" was made by members in New Zealand and, as you can see, features various New Zealand scenes and images.....sheep, kiwis (lots of kiwis!), native birds, pretty yellow kowhai flowers, white flowering clematis, marine pictures, ferns and a row of batches - New Zealanders have little holiday cottages they call "batches". The reverse side has hearts signed by various members; both front and back use New Zealand fabrics with batiks. All the colours used are very evocative of New Zealand. There is also a book made with leftover blocks, and photos of the quilt in progress. The beautiful quilting was done by Marilyn Giles of Auckland. It hangs in my dining room, I see it every day ----- and I still can't believe it's mine!
My maternal grandmother was born in New Zealand and I have rels there so it was meant to be, I reckon.
At every quilt show I buy at least one ticket in the raffle quilt - there's always a raffle quilt - but I don't know how many quilts one person is allowed to win in their lifetime.
Jennifer
Lucky you, Jennifer! I never win anything, but I did last week...sort of (LOL). Have a look at my blog.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous quilt. You were very lucky and how great to look at it daily!
ReplyDeleteI love the sheep! This quilt is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool. I like the sheep and kiwi images.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, beautiful quilt...so glad that you won!
ReplyDeleteWow what an awesome quilt! Thanks for sharing the story about it.
ReplyDeletewhat a unique quilt, how lucky you are.
ReplyDeleteA delightful quilt and how lucky for you to own it!
ReplyDeleteYou are a lucky oerson. the quilt is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI love that Kiwiana Quilt. Being a Kiwi, I suppose it is no surprise!
ReplyDelete