The last week I have been working on putting together blocks sent from Canada for quilts for the bushfire victims in Victoria, I am down to the last one and it coming along well. But there was sad news a few days ago - do you remember Sam, the little koala who was rescued by a firefighter and given a drink? The picture was everywhere as a symbol of hope after the fires had gone through. Unfortunately Sam (who, it turned out, was a girl) was found to have inoperable cysts due to clamydia and died last week. She was a little fighter and lived for six months after her ordeal by fire, but nature was too strong for her.
The quote from my old etiquette book has sparked replies saying "why is it always the woman who is responsible for manners and morals?" I agree, it seems that is the way of the world and always has been. In times gone by women seem to have been regarded as more civilised than men - whether this is really true or not, who knows! I have found another very different quote for this post, can you imagine the reaction of a young chicky-babe today if she was told she had to wear the following at the beach instead of her brief bikini?
"Flannel is the best material for a bathing costume, and gray is regarded as the most suitable colour. It may be trimmed with light worsted braid. The best form is the loose sacque, or the yoke waist, both of them to be belted in, and falling about mid-way between the knee and the ankle; an oilskin cap to protect the hair from the water, and merino socks to match the dress, complete the costume."
Now I don't know about you, but I'm not a great swimmer and would probably drown if I had to wear all this weight in the water.
Have a lovely week.
Jennifer
What a priceless quote! I guess the merino socks were to keep one's feet warm?!?!?
ReplyDeleteNever mind that....I am just imagining how much of it it would take to cover this body of mine....no wonder women didn't go swimming much..
ReplyDeleteRemember the movie (orginal) cheaper by the dozen with Clifton Webb? the girls had to wear all those get ups to go to the beach...too funny.
Lovely little wombat...so tiny.