Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Slowly sewing!

No wonder it's called "Fall"....all those lovely coloured leaves on the path! These pics were taken at Scarborough Bluffs.
I love this one with the different tree shapes, sizes and colours. The sign you can just see says...........
We photograph signs when we see them, it's a handy reminder of where we were at the time.

I have been sewing! Much cause for rejoicing! In my sewing room was a box of squares, each one made of two half-square triangles, the trimmings of star block corners from a quilt made some years ago. (it's still a top, but what the heck.....you can't rush genius) The fabrics are blues and yellows with white-on-white backgrounds. I found out that I can feed them s-l-o-w-l-y through my Singer Featherweight, four of those little squares makes one pinwheel block. The blocks will only be about 2-1/2in finished but there will be 128 blocks. Setting them on point, using alternate squares and borders, will make a quilt nearly 50in square; I have been playing with a few ideas on EQ6 for layouts. I can't sew for too long at a time as my left arm (the plastered one) doesn't like it, but you have no idea how much I am treasuring this small achievement. When the blocks are all made I will go looking for fabric to complete the quilt.

Yesterday we endured a dreadful day, the temperature was 39 degrees C here - that's over 100 degrees F for those who use those numbers - today is milder (mid 20s), but tomorrow is forecast to be another stinker. Let's hope it's not quite as bad as the forecast indicates. Anything over 25 degrees C is too much for me when Sydney's humidity is taken into account.

"Never turn a corner at full speed or you may find yourself knocked down, or may knock down another, by the violent contact. Always look the way you are going or you may chance to meet some awkward collision. People are very rude and vulgar who do not look the way they are going; it annoys others."

Enjoy your weekend.

Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Oh, glad that you are able to sew a little...I know you were missing your sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just remember to take baby steps when you get your cast off. you dont want to pull an already weakened muscle. some sewing is better than none to stave off cabin fever right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh the pictures are magnificent but really pulled together with the wonderful sign. I about has goose bumps reading that. It's so neat to read about what's happened on our planet, right where you were standing, so many years ago. Wow. Very cool share!

    So you've been sewing! Yeah. Time to celebrate right alongside you. I'm thrilled. Sounds like your pulling together some fun.

    Great installment for this posts etiquette. I giggled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do that, too - take pictures of signs, i mean - i wouldn't remember what i saw if i didn't ... the pinwheel quilt is gonna be beautiful ... and it is almost time to get the casts off - your arm is gonna self-levitate, huh? you'll be walking along, minding your own business, and the next thing you'll see is your hand floating up and over your head like it inhaled helium!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!