Yesterday the orthopedic specialist looked at the x-ray taken of my wrist the previous day and said that, although it's healing as well as can be expected (he didn't add "considering your age" but he might as well have done) he wants to see me again in two weeks. He said (once again almost referring to my age but not quite) that it's a fine line between leaving the arm in plaster long enough for the bone to have healed, but not so long that the limb stiffens up. As my wrist has been set with a slight downward bend for some medical reason, can't you just imagine how tender it's going to be when it's finally free? I know there are many people in this world who are putting up with much more than I have to, but it is still driving me spare. Two more weeks will be six weeks since it was broken. I wonder if I will still remember how to knit? or play guitar? and as for using a sewing machine......and my beautiful new overlocker is out of its box waiting for me to play with it and I can't........
In the past five days I have read four books and am half-way through a fifth which isn't grabbing my attention as much as some I have read, so I might give it up as a bad job and not even try to find out who dunnit. It's been a while since I have read such a cliched book. One I particularly enjoyed was "Bugatti Queen: in search of a French racing legend" by Miranda Seymour. Helene Delangle was a racing car driver in the 1930s, and led a rip-snorting life off the track too; she had been a dancer before taking to the race circuit. She was glamorous with a beautiful smile as a young woman, but ended her days in a tiny apartment alone, estranged from her family and in poor health in her eighties. Some of her race driving records still stand all these years later.
My sewing room is unusable at present because it is being painted, we are freshening up the house with a coat of paint before selling it early next year. Kevin's plan is to have it ready for me to use again when I an able to, isn't he great?
"Keep to the right.
On meeting and passing people in the street, keep to your right hand, except when a gentleman is walking alone; then he must always turn aside to give the preferred side of the walk to a lady, to anyone carrying a heavy load, to a clergyman or to an old gentleman."
Enjoy your weekend.
Jennifer
Hmmmm...wonder what my DH would think of today's etiquette lesson, being a clergyman AND an old(er) man LOL. Hang in there, Jennifer,at least it's an excuse to lie around with a clear conscience!
ReplyDeleteOh can't imagine the therapy you will go through when the cast is off!
ReplyDeleteI'm having hip replaced next year and just the thought keeps me excercising to hopefully not have a bad recovery.
Nice to paint though, it's always fresh...downsizing are you?
i think that you will be able to do all of those things that make you happy again - you are already typing like you have two healthy wrists!
ReplyDeletei'd much rather keep to the right than do a little dance with the person who is in my way - whenever that happens i harumph and mutter "must be from Europe" ... which, come to think of it, isn't exactly politically correct, is it?
Whew, I'm glad to know this because we're all carrying a heavy load! :) hee!
ReplyDeleteI'm knowing you're doing some serious time suffering there on the far side of a fracture my friend but I don't intend suffering in the sense of the word as weakness. Oh we toss that word around as if it were an offense! It is merely to acknowledge we're all carrying a heavy load. But, come to think of it - you're not carrying diddly! Except maybe if you have Kevin load up your backpack. Hey, then we can set you up as a Pack Mule!
Now there's an idea. No need to fret about age there. As long as your back is strong and your legs work - we can use you! hee.
Oh I'm a sorry comment aren't I?
Wonderful Autumn colour in those tress. I can imagine your frustration...it must seem ages, BUT you do want the best outcome. You won't have forgotten any of your skills but may have to retarin yourself a bit. Chin up my friend!
ReplyDeleteCatchy title, there ..... Sad to say, but all our beautiful colours are gone now for this autumn. Next year they will be back once again. Six weeks .... bet it feels like an eternity some days. I hope your dr. gives you good news soon.
ReplyDeleteYou will get through this! I bet the relief to be rid of the weight of the cast will be equalled by the relief to be rid of the heat of it! I'm sure you'll have a physiotherapy regimen to follow once the cast is off and then, before you know it, you'll be back to your regular activities.
ReplyDelete