Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Knitting s-l-o-w-l-y.........

Some progress to report! This week I picked up the scarf that I started knitting in Canada, and found that I can knit - slowly, and not for too long at a time as my hand gets sore and tired, but I can do it. Only one row on the first try, three rows next time, and I'll see how I go this evening. The re-knitted cardy (which would have been finished by now, had I not broken) can wait a little longer until I am sure I can knit to a reasonable tension

You know, I had great plans to be creative for the two months between returning home and Christmas. And not one of those plans has been achieved. Zilch. Nada. But I have read a lot of books. I had started working on a Pay It Forward gift for Sherry and it's no further ahead than it was when we went on holidays. There's a pretty piece of fabric which will become a new skirt, calling to me from my sewing room - a black textured cotton printed with bright splashy flowers which look as though they were painted by a four year old. It was going to be my Christmas present to myself, and cost me all of $2 for the 2 metre piece early this year. I planned to wear it with a red top. When I can get to it, it may be the first project made with the help of my new overlocker.

But on the positive side, my hand is slowly getting better with the aid of the nice young physio bloke. It still won't support the weight of holding a coffee cup (doesn't matter if it is empty or full) but I can do my hair now. The swelling is slowly going down and my hand is beginning to look like a hand again instead of a shapeless blob.

Ah well.

Last night was the folk club Christmas party, and a great time was had by all who attended. It was a lovely way to end our year of music. I even managed to have a new song to sing.

Unfortunately the night before someone in our neighbourhood decided to have a party which didn't start until after midnight - for goodness sake, why? The music pounded on loudly, and the voices yelled and laughed, until the police arrived at.....oh....must have been about 2.30am. Things quietened down after that. But we could still hear voices at 4am, and at 7am. The music started up again mid-morning, and thumped and pounded on again until sometime in the afternoon. I hope they all had hangovers. It's formal season here - the end-of-school-year formal (or prom, as it's known in other countries) sometimes continues on at an 'after party' so we are assuming that's what it was, and that would also explain the late starting time. But in a usually quiet suburban neighbourhood of people who had to get themselves up for work early next morning, or get children off to school, it probably didn't make them many friends. So after a disturbed night followed by a late night, we are a little more tired than we would normally be on a nice sunny Saturday.

"Singing and Playing in Society.
A lady in company should never exhibit any anxiety to sing or play; but being requested to do so, if she intends to comply, she should do so at once, without waiting to be urged. If she refuses, she should do so in a manner that shall make her decision final. Having complied, she should not monopolize the evening with her performances, but make room for others."

Have a lovely weekend.

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. even with a newly unplastered hand you are making more progress on your knitting than i am on crocheting - and i have no excuse whatsoever.

    were your neighbors shouting, "I LOVE you, ELVIS!!" ? cuz i know how annoying that can be .. we have a frat house (not really - but it seems like it sometimes) a few doors down and they listen to WAY too much bass at 2 in the morning - shakes the whole neighborhood ... anywho - take it easy today and go to bed early tonight so you can have a great tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress to report! That bloke sounds like he's really helping you along. Just to be starting on some knitting is celebratory! I noticed I was shaking my in an understanding gesture as you mentioned waiting to work on the cardy. Definitely. Ohhh I really understand. I don't knit but I crochet and tension is surely a 'thing' to pay attention to. I enjoyed reading about all the things awaiting you to be worked on. I thought the black fabric with flowers sounded really fun!!!

    I've nothing nice to say about noisy neighbors. I'll simply empathize and make room for others... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine you are thrilled that your hand is doing so well from working with the physio guy.

    I haven't been to a Christmas party yet this year - on Monday, my quilt guild is having one and I am looking forward to it.

    Ahhh...the young - they only start going out at 10PM - so, that was the perfect time for a home party to start!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing so well -- knitting already??
    Noisy neighbours can be such a nightmare. I hope that was a one-time event and you won't be subjected to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you're knitting again...I still have to get around to doing my PiF. Im just not sure what to do yet...and mine is going to be going all the way to colorado.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!